Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Kindergarten is hard. It's a big adjustment in a lot of ways, even for the kids who don't cry and get upset. First grade was way better. It felt more like DD knew "the drill" and knew what was going to happen, and better yet, accepted it. She may miss you, but a lot of the tears may be a test to see if it's really for real that she has to do this stuff. She will be okay, mama. I'm sorry, I know it's heart wrenching, but it will get better!!!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

I really don't understand the full day kindy trend. We are the only ones of 75 kids in 3 k classes doing half day and this thread validates my adamant stance that I will not do full day. We are lucky to have that choice of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows&Roses View Post
    I really don't understand the full day kindy trend.
    I'm not a fan either, but we didn't have an option, and everyone else seems to love it here. When I was in K, it was half day, AND we had a nap!

OP, can you maybe give her a little laminated picturer of you, or something that will remind her of you? My DDs still talk about missing mommy, and they tell me "I got sad today because I missed you". We never had the crying jags, because they both love new people, but the missing mommy thing is not unusual.

i agree, I'd let her self soothe during transition to after care. Don't give too much validity to her fears. Good luck!!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows&Roses View Post
    I really don't understand the full day kindy trend. We are the only ones of 75 kids in 3 k classes doing half day and this thread validates my adamant stance that I will not do full day. We are lucky to have that choice of course.
    With all of the Kindergarten standards that we are now required to teach, I can't imagine having to fit all of them in a half day program. There would be no time for anything fun!

With that said I personally feel the Kinder standards are ridiculous. It is what first grade used to be, and preschool is now what Kinder used to be. Kids that don't go to preschool are at a disadvantage. I teach at a school with a high immigrant population. Most of my students stayed at home with a relative and never attended preschool. They really struggle as our reading program assumes that kids entering Kinder already know all of their letters, and many of my students barely speak English. Unfortunately the people that make all of these ridiculous standards are not people who actually teach in classrooms in the types of areas I teach in. They are politicians who wouldn't last a day in a real classroom.

Is full day really a trend? I went to full-day kindergarten back in 1980. I actually never heard of half-day until I joined parenting boards. My friend who moved to Colorado last year (from N.C.) says her daughter is in half-day and she was surprised because she wasn't familiar with it.

They do get a rest break this year, at least through this month. His teacher said there was no rest break at all last year, which I guess backfired. But two years ago, the rest break went through January. So confusing!

I am getting stressed about all the work DS will have to do -- homework starts in October. Grrrr.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 09-01-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS also had a rough time at the start of K. He came home exhausted, hungry and crabby. The first few days were great, as several PPs mentioned, then when he realized he was in it for the long haul we had a very difficult few weeks. It did get easier, but then he had a hard time again after Christmas break. This year (1st grade) has been 1000x easier.

I love TwinFoxes' idea of a little something of yours she can look at. Maybe a little note in her snack or lunch box?

Hugs, OP. It will get better.
    DS age 9

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Is full day really a trend? I went to full-day kindergarten back in 1980. I actually never heard of half-day until I joined parenting boards. My friend who moved to Colorado last year (from N.C.) says her daughter is in half-day and she was surprised because she wasn't familiar with it.
    I had full day kindergarten in 1973. I was shocked to find out that our district did not mandate it when we moved in nine years ago (it was available, but at what seemed to be a substantial price), but the district went to all full day only about three years ago. It was an issue of space, money, and new standards. I am glad that there will have been five days of all full day before The Biscuit starts; that way everyone should be used to the program.

MIL has taught school for 52 years, mostly in kindy, and she thinks that preschool is essential, preferably from age 3 or earlier. In her view, kids need to know a host of skills, including how to use a computer mouse and keyboard, before kindy starts (plus be able to share and be potty trained -- not always the case in her area!) in order to have a really successful year. She believes that parents can teach the necessary skills at home, but that many do not have the motivation or education to do so.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was really nervous about full day kindergarten when my Dd1 started in 2011 and she did fine. I also realized that full day kindergarten was cheaper than having to pay for aftercare (we ended up at Catholic school because it was full day and because the monthly tuition including aftercare was $550 vs. $775 for just aftercare due to needing about 25-30 hours of aftercare a week). Now here full day kindergarten is no longer a trend in my district due to budget cuts. Kindergarten starts between 8 and 9 and is over by 11:30, even in my bil's well funded district in a Sacramento suburb kindergarten is half day.

I agree with PZ Mommy on this one. My DD2's class may not nap, but the teacher is vocal that absolutely nothing academic is done in the afternoon as this time is for art, library, music, and free time.

The only other slight downside is Dd2 is tired by the time we get home, but once we get homework done and grab a quick bite I anticipate bedtime will follow shortly.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-01-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I went to full day kinder and I am 42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hugs mama, that's got to be hard to watch your daughter be so sad. Have you seen the book The Kissing Hand? There's also an audio version. http://www.amazon.com/Kissing-Hand-A...e+kissing+hand. Very cute story and maybe you and she can craft a kissing hand for her to keep in her desk/backpack. My DD1 made one from her handprint when she was in K (this was a class project) that she brought home and gave to me. The teacher took the reverse focus that it was the mom's that needed the kissing hand because we'd be the ones sad and missing our kids. It was sweet.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast