Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default If you get cold sores, I'd love some advice!

I feel like most of my cold sores come on the tail end of a virus (particularly if I've had a fever), and as luck would have it, I am getting over a terrible stomach virus, and low and behold, I have a cold sore. So I'd love to pick the brains of all of you who have BTDT....starting with treatment. I felt the tell tale tingling feeling about 3 hours ago, and I know there are some OTC ointments that are said to work at the first sensation, but by the time I felt the tingling we were all settled in for the evening, and I didn't want to drag my kids to the drug store. So, I used what I had on hand, campho-phenique, tea tree oil and ice. I'm using all of them in frequent rotation (obsessively applying one or the other every 10-15 minutes....is there such a thing as too much of a good thing...am I going to irritate it further?). I've read through many of the previous threads on cold sores, and many people recommend Lysine. Is that only effective if taken immediately when you feel a cold sore coming on, or would it be worth grabbing some tomorrow on my lunch break? My doc will no prescribe anything over the phone, and I know that they are booked all day tomorrow, so prescription isn't really an option unless I go to Urgent Care. Any other recommendations? This one is feeling particularly tingly and I'm terrified it's going to be a doozy.

Next, what do you do while you're dealing with an active sore? Obviously, tons of handwashing, no sharing drinks, no kissing my LO's, but beyond that...ie: makeup application? did you apply makeup over the sore? I am a teacher, and I'm dreading the looks and questions I'll receive from the (young) kids if it's not somewhat concealed. tooth brushing? Do I quit using my sonicare and go to a disposable toothbrush? do I throw away every lipstick I've used in the past 24 hours (even the ones I used before I had any indication I was getting a cold sore)?

Thanks for any advice!

I've upped Lysine as soon as I feel a cold coming on, not necessarily waiting for symptoms of a cold sore because for me, the cold sore comes on at the end of an illness. If I get a fever, I will get a cold sore. DH will up lysine before an endurance event as the increased heat can make one rise up. I keep abreva on hand. Hands down the best OTC for me.

My dr prescribed medication last summer and gave me enough for refills. I keep that stuff filled! I want to have it ready asap and not worry about going to the pharmacy because the sooner the better. I have only used it 2x. A few weeks ago I woke up with that tingle and it felt like it would be a huge one. Took the RX for one day, kept abreva on it (and still felt that tingle for about 3 days), and it never surfaced.

What did your doc prescribe? I've not had a scrip for 10+ years and didn't find the last very helpful. I do use Abreva as well but would love to have a more complete arsenal!
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07

Quote Originally Posted by Thatchermom View Post
    What did your doc prescribe? I've not had a scrip for 10+ years and didn't find the last very helpful. I do use Abreva as well but would love to have a more complete arsenal!
    From my RX bottle: valacyclovir hcl 1. I just asked my Dr. for a RX at my last checkup. I'm so glad I did because I ended up being sick several times last winter. You do have to start it right away. You take a 2 doses in a 24 hour period.

OP: No, I do not throw away lipsticks or makeup or stop using my toothbrush. Re: makeup. Mine tend to be small so I can where makeup without aggravating it.

lele is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

http://smile.amazon.com/Johnson-Comp...old+sore+patch

I've had good results with this patch.
    Lele, mom to 3

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    I've upped Lysine as soon as I feel a cold coming on, not necessarily waiting for symptoms of a cold sore because for me, the cold sore comes on at the end of an illness. If I get a fever, I will get a cold sore. DH will up lysine before an endurance event as the increased heat can make one rise up. I keep abreva on hand. Hands down the best OTC for me.

My dr prescribed medication last summer and gave me enough for refills. I keep that stuff filled! I want to have it ready asap and not worry about going to the pharmacy because the sooner the better. I have only used it 2x. A few weeks ago I woke up with that tingle and it felt like it would be a huge one. Took the RX for one day, kept abreva on it (and still felt that tingle for about 3 days), and it never surfaced.
    Thanks for those hints! I haven't had a cold sore in about 5 years (I truly only get them after a high fever, which rarely happens) and all of my cold sore supplies have long expired. I'm planning on going to Walgreens today. Would the lysine still work? Any opinions on my best treatment option for *after* the sore has already surfaced and is in the blister stage? When I google I see lots of advice for treatment during the tingling stage, but not a whole lot for blister stage.

Those patches look interesting. They take a month to arrive, so maybe I'll order some just in case I find myself with a fever any time soon!

This seems kind of silly to ask, but do you restrict daily life at all while you have a cold sore? We have a PTO meeting, play date this afternoon and I work, so while my pride would much rather stay home, I have plans to be out and about. All is well with frequent handwashing (and obviously no drink sharing or kissing...which isn't a problem with any of our plans).
    Last edited by okinawama; 09-02-2015 at 08:01 AM.

I doubt it. I think once you are past the initial tingle, there isn’t much you can do but let it run its course. I would still use abreva. Not much to do with outbreak except keep it from cracking and bleeding by moisturizing.

No, I do not restrict daily life. Like I mentioned, I normally get one at the end of an illness with a high fever so I’ve already been down and out and am typically just getting back to pre-sickness levels. I hadn’t had one in a couple of years but I was so sick all last winter and had 2 (quickly went away b/c of meds so wasn't noticeable).

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is my go to medicine for cold sores - DH too. Called Valtrex, but valacyclovir is on the bottle. It's amazing. It used to be if I felt the tingle, there was nothing that worked, and I was in for 2 weeks of a big blister, scab, the whole thing. But with valtrex, I can take it even after the tiny bubbles start to appear, and I haven't gotten a big cold sore since I've had this medicine on hand.
    THat said, I always put makeup over it! Mine either appear right on my lip or under my nose. Either way, I put makeup over it. I think it is better than the blaring red sore. But as I said, I haven't had to deal with the really challenging big scab in several years as valtrex really does stop the cold sore from developing for me. Ask your doc for a prescription!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think this is sort of like the perennial "which OTC allergy meds are best?" question -- different people respond to different ones. I used to use Valtrex (valacyclovir) and its predecessor Zovirax (acyclovir) and neither did much for me. But Abreva has been very effective, heading off/drying up blisters if I use it at the first tingle. I always keep it on hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why oh why hasn't abreva figured out that they should come out with a clear gel? The campho-phenique is clear, and I just dab it on lightly and I'm done. Due to the creamy white consistency of Abreva, I feel like I have to rub it in, which hurts, and even once it's all rubbed in, the white cast just draws more attention to the cold sore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast