Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Well, I'm a misplaced Californian, and I really miss it.

But, here I like the great schools. Lots of cultural activities/events for the kids, many of them free. Beautiful autumn leaves. Beautiful Cherry Blossoms. In my neighborhood, we have a real sense of community, I don't know if that's true for the rest of the metro area.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

our neighborhood and neighbors; great public school; DH commute is <2 miles; airport is <20 mins (DH and I both travel)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Beautiful neighborhood (walkable, safe, homes are very well kept and have interesting architecture); walking distance to schools and grandparents; tons of cultural events; excellent services (several awesome libraries nearby); very close to NYC; very short work commutes.
    DD '06
    DD '14

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pretty much everything. Schools are great, great restaurants, some of the best microbreweries in the country, awesome small city, Living right on a huge lake, lots of green spaces and parks, mountains close by (except I dont ski), amazing summers, great state university close by, good hospital, no traffic!!!!

It would be easier to say what I dislike, and that is the weather in the winter (too long). And I miss living by the ocean. I grew up in Boston but now live in Burlington, VT. I really miss the ocean. I only vacation at the beach now and I can easily sit on the beach 8 hours a day and still not be bored of it.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Another SoCal mama here. I live a few blocks from the beach and the kids and I walk/scoot to the ocean most days. Looking out over the bluffs, and seeing dolphins and the occasional whale is just paradise for me. I never get tired of waking up to blue skies and palm trees, either, and my boys love the lifestyle. They're outside 365 days a year.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about SoCal in general. Public schools in my area are mostly 10/10 rated and the traffic isn't anywhere near as bad as people think.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love so much about Wisconsin. I love when it's so hot you are just waiting for the next cool breeze to blow by. And it does. It comes out of the cool green forests that cover the scenic bluffs here. I love that the seasons are so different. 6 months after that hot day the landscape is covered in heavy blankets of white with sparkles of snow flying through the air. And I love how the trees change colors to let you know it's coming. I love that it's always changing. I love how you can walk or ski through the woods and the only thing you have to worry about are the ticks and Mosquitos. There really isn't any thing else that lives here that can kill you (no poisonous bugs or snakes unless you count rabid animals). I love that we have soft grass that you an walk on with your bare feet and how it always feels cool, even in the hot summer.

I wish we had better shopping and cultural activities but I wouldn't give up the small- town feel for those opportunities. I love that people here strike up a conversation with each other while waiting in lines. Or not. It's not rude to be silently in your own world. I love that people here love to chat and you can ask someone a few questions and find out that you knew their older sister or that their dad worked with your uncle. It feels like home here. There are so many more things I love here....
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 09-02-2015 at 10:53 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In general, I love the Midwest. I love seasons, especially Fall and snow. I can't imagine living somewhere without snow. We have beautiful fields and nature preserves that change colors in fall and just look amazing covered in snow.

More specifically, I love that I can reach beaches in 3 states in less than an hour. I can reach major museums and all that downtown Chicago has to offer in ~45 minutes. Our surrounding towns offer pretty much anything we need in terms of shopping, dining and government services. My house is a block away from a park and a gorgeous walking/biking trail through connecting forest preserves. Our town has good schools, lots of kids, open spaces, public transportation. Overall, I'm happy.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

4 seasons with mild winter sounds lovely! In theory, lol. But really, seems like a storybook.

I think seeing green would be nice. I definitely don't see that here. Especially right now.

I love the way you describe your community, vludmilla. I wonder if it is a bit like a European city? I remember moving closer to "the city" in my part of the country. It was NOTHING like living in Nice!

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Everything but the overly long winter (I don't mind winter, but would be happy to have a real spring - that is the one we get shortchanged in Chicagoland). Hmm, and maybe some closer mountains for some real local skiing.

Love the lake 2 blocks from my house; love my leafy, green village; love the tight knit, safe community with great schools; love that the city is a quick drive or train ride away; love the blazing, colorful falls with the sunny warm days. I'm an ocean girl at heart, but the big lake is the next best thing. And that's what vacations are for!

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love having 4 seasons...beautiful spring days, hot summer days where you just want to hang out in the pool, crisp fall days with gorgeous colors, a cold snowy day...I want all of it.

I like that people are more laid back and friendly. No one judges you, even in the upscale parts of town, for heading out in yoga pants to Target or the grocery store or the park with your kids.

I love our pro sports teams. I never get tired of October baseball.

I love my kids' school and that I have plenty of public and private options.

I love the light traffic most of the time.

I love the commitment to culture for all...great zoo, great botanical garden, great museums...and all either free or inexpensive.

I can live in almost any city and be happy really, but I also love that this is home.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast