Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I grew up saying fellow (NOLA area). My kids say tiger and DH grew up saying tiger. I didn't realize there was an inappropriate version.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We said tiger for sure. But, I knew there was another version..... I don't remember where or when I learned of the other version, but I am quite surprised so many had no idea! I thought it was just one of those things "everyone knows".

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Some people sang the other version when I was growing up in the 70s--my mom said that's how she learned it. BUT--she would only let us say tiger. Heck, mom wouldn't even let us tell "Pollock" jokes. Let's just say that diversity has come a long way--my grandmother would distinguish people based on their Eastern European (albeit caucasian) nationality. I guess that's what you get when you grow up in the coal mines!
    We must be cousins! My Dad is 92, Polish and from a coal mining region, who still distinguishes Eastern European nationalities!

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dcclerk View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even know what the other word is instead of "tiger."! I grew up saying "tiger" as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I grew up saying tiger as well. (1970s. in the south (Texas)) This is the first I've heard there used to be a different word

I kind of like the idea of using goblin also!
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've only heard tiger, even when I was little.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP here. I grew up in New England with bleeding heart liberal parents too, but my grandparents were from the Deep South (Birmingham from 1920s-1950s) and they were the ones who told me about the original wording and how I shouldn't use it, so I never did. I'm glad that it has faded so completely from the collective memory and that I don't need to worry about DS being considered a little racist if he goes around saying it!

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had no idea there was another word - how awful.

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rkold
    Heck, my Dad didn't want us watching the Dukes of Hazard because they had a car named the General Lee with the confederate flag on it.
    That reminds me...once, I guess I was in about 2nd grade, I was flipping channels and came to a rerun if The Dukes of Hazard. I immediately assumed it was about bad guys, because of the car with the Confederate flag!!!

And, add me to the list of people who never heard of another version.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I don't know why I know there is another version, but I do remember hearing that there is.

My kids say it with tiger and it's fine. I grew up in the 70s and said tiger.
    Kris

Hmmm, I grew up saying "tigger". I just figured it was another southern way of mispronouncing tiger. Never knew it was connected to something inappropriate.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast