Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

My kids (9 and 6) don't even know the Eenie Meenie song. I thought it was one of those songs that was just too old fashioned and had fallen out of favor, like "Ring Around the Rosie." They always say, "Blue shoes, blue shoes, who's it? Not you!" and then repeat. I didn't know about the alternate version, but now that I do, I'm glad my kids don't know the song.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Grew up in the Deep South and we used tiger, but I knew kids who used the n word. I never really thought I'd the n word version being the original one, I just figured that it was the word of choice for trash mouthed kids. It was a forbidden word in my house.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had no idea! But a quick search led me to this link, which shows that almost all those little songs/nursery rhymes have serious racist roots

http://madamenoire.com/484055/racist-nursery-rhymes/

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would allow them to sing it, but it's never come up around here. I didn't teach it and I guess neither did the other parents or the various teachers they have had over the years.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I never heard the bubble gum song. What are the rest of the words?
    Bubblegum blubblegum in a dish, how many pieces do you wish? The person who is touched on the word "wish" says a number and then the person doing the picking continues around and counts the number. Whoever she lands on is out.
    Kris

I never new there was another phrasing other than tiger. Interesting to learn. Growing up we did eenie meenie minie mo, bubble gum and one potato, two potato... depending on who was counting or if there was a certain person they wanted it.

Though I think I'll teach my Girl Scouts the bubble gum one as I can't remember the rest of the potato one.
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

I grew up in and right outside of NYC. I mostly heard the "n" word version. We would say tiger because we were taught not to say the "n" word.

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Grew up all over the western U.S. in the 80s and only knew the tiger version. My father is a bleeding heart liberal who grew up in Louisiana and Oklahoma but never instructed me not to sing it, and until this thread I never knew there was another version.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Both DDs know it...learned it from friends...the tiger version. Grew up singing it with my friends and only recently learned of the original version.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7