Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Just for fun: how many languages do you speak?

How many languages do you speak, and do you speak them fluently? Which languages (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

I really wish I were fluent in a second language. I know enough French to get by with the basics if I were to travel to a French-speaking country (eg, figure out signs, ask for the bathroom, etc), and I can pick out some Spanish and Hebrew words, but that's about it. I really hope that DDs become more proficient than I am in SOMETHING.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I speak English with great fluency!

I can figure out words in several languages, I very briefly studied French, I sang a lot of songs in Italian (that's the language I wish I could speak) and took a foreign language for musicians course in college. It was mostly a guide to pronunciation more than learning how to speak the language, so I'm familiar with a few languages, but can speak nothing else.

I too hope that my kids will be fluent in something else.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Just English. I know enough German to get by if I were to go there. No where near fluent though.

My kids have Chinese daily in school. Only 30 min a day, but it is daily starting in kindergarten. I'm hoping they'll learn enough to do better than get by.
    Kris

Fluent in Russian and English.

I only really know English.

I took French in high school and I probably know enough French I could have a stilted conversation in French, could read museum descriptions, and do other basic touristy stuff.

I also know a smattering of Japanese. I have memorized a few kanji (mostly the super useful stuff like: 入口, 出口, 山 (super handy with place names), 大, 犬, 高, 川, 女, 火) and a bunch of others and I can read a little kana, but very very slowly. Some of the kana are confusing for me because they just look so similar. I don't know radicals or anything like that, but knowing 山 once helped me catch a train that didn't have its destination written in romanji. I can speak a smattering of Japanese but not in any truly meaningful way.

I'd love DD to know a foreign language but it's really really hard without spending a lot of time with someone who speaks that language fluently IMHO. Immersion makes such a difference. DH is fluent in German. He spent a year living there with a German family when he was 14. He still enjoys reading books in German, while I doubt I could read a book in French like I use to in High School.
    Mother to DD 10/2010

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just English. I took French in high school and college and can still read it, but don't think I could carry on a conversation. I can read billboard and bus ads in Spanish and figure out what they mean.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Default Just for fun: how many languages do you speak?

Just English

I used to speak Italian very well, but it's been 10+ years. I studied abroad in Florence and did graduate work in Venice. I had to read old documents in Italian, so I could read and understand fluently. I took 4 years of French in high school and a year in college. I took one year of Spanish in grad school. And Italian of course. :-)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Native tongue is English. Grew up with Mexican ranch hands, and took Spanish for 3 years in high school. And could get by with Spanish at work when needed. I was a nurse, and could speak to the parents about most things I was doing or info I needed to know.

Now that I live in the Netherlands, we are beginning to learn Dutch. Dh's company pays for us to have 100 hours of language lessons. A tutor comes for 2 hours twice a week. And our kids will get Dutch lessons in school (their school is an international school and is taught in English).

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

One language fluently and a second that is rusty but I could revive to fluency with work.
    I know tourist phrases or can string together what I need in a third.
    I know numbers if 6 or 7 languages
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am fluent in English and profanity

I can get the gist of written German, but my pronunciation is singers' haute Deustch. If I put in any effort, I'd be able to gain fluency. I find German to be a really fun language; it's one of my favorites to sing in. People think I'm weird for this, but whatever.

I can understand about 1 word in 8 of spoken Spanish, though I do much better with written. Again, if I put in the effort, I'd easily gain fluency. I think that my brother even has Rosetta Stone discs that I could borrow if I set my mind to it.

I used to be able to read a bit more Hebrew and Yiddish than I do now - haven't used it much in the last 12 or so years, you know? - but I'm thankful for the cultural exposure.

The extent of my French includes how to proposition someone, a song about a hedgehog, another song about a lost little dog, how to say "the Eiffel Tower", and how to say "who cut the cheese?"

I haven't had much exposure to Italian or Portuguese, but at one point when I was in college, I still understood enough written Spanish that I could get the gist of an e-mail written in Portuguese.

I know a couple of Slovak words and phrases, as well as a couple of words of Polish.
    I used to know a traditional song in Russian, but I've forgotten most of it - we only performed it once and most of us thought it was stupid.
    I know at least one song in church Slavonic, which is related to but not the same as Slovak.

And I know how to count to 5 and a short song about fireflies in Japanese.

But, yeah, my fluency is limited to English.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast