ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default HBB for 9 yr. old?

DH was in a crash last week (other driver's fault). The insurance company said they would replace the seats, but I don't know yet how they go about doing it (give us a certain amount to spend, or cover the exact seats that we need to replace). We had Britax Parkways (SGL) in that car, which are actually only 8 months old, as we got them from our insurance company when DH's totaled his car in a snow storm last winter. The girls like the Parkways (DD1 also has one in my car). But since they aren't in DH's car a whole lot, I'm thinking we probably don't need something that pricey (though if they insurance company will cover it we would get the same seats). Anyways, DD1 is turning 9 on Sat. She is a bit short for her age and very slim. She has used a no back booster a few times in my car for short drives but says she prefers the HBB. Other options for a 9 yr. old that she won't outgrow right away? Is a HBB overkill at this age and should I try to get her used to using a LBB?

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If insurance will pay for it (and it should) and she prefers the HBB, I would just get another HBB. My tall 9.5yo dd just switched to a LBB a couple months ago, and that was only because she was feeling self-conscious compared to her friends (most of whom ride without boosters altogether!). Doesn't the Parkway convert to a LBB? You can always take the back off if she decides she'd rather have a LBB.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

After reading this article, yes, I think so! I will try and get my 9 year old back in a HBB - she is currently in a backless booster.

Older Children More Likely to Be Injured in a Car, Less Likely to Have Car Seats Checked for Safety (NYT)

for Sandy Hook

I don't think the Parkway can be used as a backless. But it looks like it will last longer heightwise than the Graco or other HBBs. Any other suggestions besides the Parkway for older kids?

Oh yeah, it can definitely be used backless, and then it's one of the comfier seats. Another really good tall one that can do that is the Diono Monterey
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    After reading this article, yes, I think so! I will try and get my 9 year old back in a HBB - she is currently in a backless booster.

Older Children More Likely to Be Injured in a Car, Less Likely to Have Car Seats Checked for Safety (NYT)
    Thanks for sharing that link! The article had a link, to a great article, on why children should not sit in the front seat until 13 years of age…
    http://kckidsdoc.com/back-seat-until...back-seat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Oh yeah, it can definitely be used backless, and then it's one of the comfier seats. Another really good tall one that can do that is the Diono Monterey
    Thanks, I wasn't sure about the backless thing. As long as insurance covers it, guess I will stick with the Parkways, as the girls like them and they last longer height wise.