Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a similar body type to you (pear), and it took me a while to realize that the fitted top is not necessarily the most flattering. Wearing something more flowy doesn't equal looking dumpy or heavier. The half-tuck is a great way to add a little definition to your waist with the less fitted tops. Since you live in the warm weather, you can wear boyfriend jeans year round. Banana Republic has cute fitted button down shirts that are non-iron that look great with jeans (I'm wearing blue gingham today) and a fun necklace.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I have a similar body type to you (pear), and it took me a while to realize that the fitted top is not necessarily the most flattering. Wearing something more flowy doesn't equal looking dumpy or heavier. The half-tuck is a great way to add a little definition to your waist with the less fitted tops. Since you live in the warm weather, you can wear boyfriend jeans year round. Banana Republic has cute fitted button down shirts that are non-iron that look great with jeans (I'm wearing blue gingham today) and a fun necklace.
    I struggle with finding a way to wear loose tops. I like to dress a lot like the OP described. I am 5'2", relatively petite--but more of a curvy petite. My waist is small, so when I wear something blousy, I feel like I am covering up one of my best features. And I wind up looking either dumpy or pregnant.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I do think that slouchy t's are more on trend, as is graphics, and mixed media. But I think you can stick with the fitted t's and update the look with your accessories and shoe choice. Skinnies still seem to be in, but flares are making a comeback.

I agree. I think you are fine in your fitted t-s.

As someone short, I am finding that so many of the current tops don't work for me- they look ridiculously long. It's a bummer.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yah IMO it's a fine line between blousey/oversized and ridiculous and maternity, LOL!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Yah IMO it's a fine line between blousey/oversized and ridiculous and maternity, LOL!
    I went to Nordstrom Rack today looking for a few fluid tops. One looked good on me but the others made me look very frumpy!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A fitted tee is classic and even though looser fitting tees are more on trend, you never go wrong with classic if that suits you better. If you want to branch out, you could try some different colors and maybe layer with some trendy cardigans.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, the key to the fluid top is a slight drape/skim over the body. Some tops out there are crazy big. Sizing down may be an option.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmintzer View Post
    I struggle with finding a way to wear loose tops. I like to dress a lot like the OP described. I am 5'2", relatively petite--but more of a curvy petite. My waist is small, so when I wear something blousy, I feel like I am covering up one of my best features. And I wind up looking either dumpy or pregnant.
    Wear loose tops with a belt - with a small waist you can rock a belt-over-flowy-top look!
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

lovebebes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think its more about the attitude how you rock those jeans+tee-demure with a dainty pearl bracelet or bohemian with a fringed suede bag... but the key is fit i think. Can NEVER go wrong with a well fitting pair of jeans and a well fitting tee.
    DD S 2002
    DD L born sleeping 04.2006
    DD L 2007
    Finally our littlest rainbow is here!
    DD C 2010

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Tuic, jeans, boots, mix accessories.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast