Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default New preschool -- Mama's anxious

Ok, please just tell me it's going to be fine!!!

DD1's been in the same daycare since she was little. I've had many issues with it over the years, but we've stuck with it for various reasons. Since I stopped working full-time several months ago, she's only been going 2 days a week. She does fine when she's there and always seems happy at pick-up, but always begs and cries not to go, always cries at drop offs, and sometimes cries multiple times throughout the day. It's been really stressful because she's always begging not to go to school. I think she gets bored and that's a big part of it. We've talked about moving her to a "real" preschool (vs. a daycare) for awhile and we finally pulled the trigger and signed her up somewhere else -- a preschool program through a local church.

I am going crazy -- I'm so anxious about this! I've had so many various issues with her current place, but now that we've made the decision, I keep worrying about silly things....she loves her teacher and has fun with friends at her current place, what if she misses them....what if the new place isn't any better (I've researched it of course, but it's not the same as actually being there)....the new preschool, while shorter days, is three days a week instead of two (but they're consecutive days, which I think will be easier on her).

I know nothing is going to be perfect and she'll be fine....but I'm just so anxious and keep second guessing myself. I know no one can know for sure, but I'm really just looking for reassurance that it will be fine!
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default New preschool -- Mama's anxious

Little ones are resilient. I bet she'll like the new experience. Good luck!!
    ETA- neither of my kids stayed with the same kids year to year and the teacher usually changed too. All was good. I was worried about one switch but that teacher wound up being the best teacher we've ever had (still!).

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I do think 3 consecutive days will be easier for her. It will be more of a routine she can count on. Good luck, hope all goes well!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Slightly different, we switched DD's swim school mid summer. We hyped it up that she was going to an advanced swim school and DD was very excited and did great. I think if you talk it up your DD will be excited to go to a new school.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    She does fine when she's there and always seems happy at pick-up, but always begs and cries not to go, always cries at drop offs, and sometimes cries multiple times throughout the day. It's been really stressful because she's always begging not to go to school.
    I think she's going to be very happy at the new place once she gets used to the change.
    Remind yourself of how bad it has been. The change has potentially huge upsides for her happiness and well-being. Remind yourself that there will be a few bumps in the road with any transition and to consider negative feelings as a normal part of dealing with change and not a reflection on Dd and whether or not she will eventually enjoy her new school more.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

I bet she will really like it. She will really like the the preschool environment, over the daycare schedule. I'm sure the shorter, more consistent days will agree with her. When ds1 started at his church preschool I was worried about the adjustment too, but he LOVES it. I remember that you also have a new baby...She will appreciate the 'big girl' time that she gets in a preschool setting.

Thank you all -- this is just the kind of reassurance I needed, I appreciate it!
    Lizi

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I think a pp made a good point. All of my kids who left a day care center have been very happy in their preK environment, and we've done about 5 different preK schools and also tried preK at a day care. Very different in many good ways. I hope it goes well for you both.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

She will do great! Make it a big deal, this is big girl school and she is a big girl now. Tell her how much fun she will have, how great the playground is (or about any new, special things she will get to do). Let her help you pick out a special first day outfit (doesnt' have to be new, can just be from her closet) maybe have a special treat when she gets home (my kids love to have a picnic in the living room) Good luck!!!

Just wanted to update -- I'm feeling so positive now! Today, we were only supposed to stop by and visit for a few minutes while I dropped off forms. She was going to meet her teacher, meet the kids, and then we'd head out. Well -- when it was time for us to go, she asked to stay a little longer. Then kept asking to stay. Then, told me that I could just go and she'd be fine (she NEVER wants me to leave her). This is the same child who has been crying all the way to her old school and for 15 minutes or longer after every drop off, and who always begs me to not leave her. I was floored! The school was awesome and invited her to stay for the day, so I went home to make her a lunch and bring it back (since I wasn't planning on her staying today!). And tonight when she was told tomorrow is a school day at her new school, she just said "okay" -- her reaction to school days up until now has been tears and begging not to go to school.

I fully know that we still may have some rough days, but I'm so relieved that her "first day" went so well! Thank you for all the encouragement!
    Lizi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast