Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Have your children taken Adderall or Concerta?

Can you tell me about your experiences with them? We started DS3, who was diagnosed with ADHD a month ago, on the lowest dosage of Adderall. It did help his concentration level and seemed to help with impulse control but he experienced bad stomach aches and low appetite. Apparently, this is common. But he also experienced loose stools and his stomach aches were so bad he was bent over in pain. Due to the side effects, we are going to start Concerta this weekend to try it out. I'm a bit nervous about the side effects and wondered about other parents experiences with it.

TIA!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

We've tried quite a few different ADHD meds including adderall. Without exception, they have all helped but also caused severely reduced appetite and some degree of stomachache. Sometimes the stomachache would eventually go away, sometimes it didn't. For DD, Focalin XR has had the least bothersome side effects. She still usually doesn't eat lunch, but that's pretty normal with these meds.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My kids have only taken the ADHD meds that are based on methylphenidate. Concerta is one example of a long acting form of methylphenidate.

It worked well for them, but both kids developed some troublesome side effects. Older DD had some nervous habits that exacerbated (tapping her legs, etc.). Younger DD developed more OCD-like behaviors.

They both now take Metadate CD, which is a different form of long acting methyplphenidate. They both take an afternoon short acting booster on week nights because the Metadate does not last long enough for evening activities or homework.

We also had good luck with Ritalin LA (another form of long acting methylphenidate) but we had trouble getting it from our pharmacy which is part of the reason we switched to Metadate.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

DS#2 has had both. He won't touch the Concerta now as it makes him naseous. Both lowered his appetite. I would make him eat a high protein breakfast as large as I could get it as that was his best meal of the day. That seemed to help with some of the symptoms.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son just started Concerta this weekend, after being on Metadate CD for the past year. He lost too much weight, so it was time to make a switch. He has a cold, so it's hard to tell if it's that or the meds, but he is tired and seems out of it. He's eating more, but I won't keep him on this if he continues to be this loopy once his cold is gone. The Metadate didn't make him loopy or sleepy; just calmer. But it completely took away any semblance of an appetite.

With Concerta we had insomnia. We then switched to Adderall LA, we also had insomnia and moodiness. He seemed withdrawn. We then went with the short acting Adderall and he developed major tics. We switched to guanfacine, which doesn't seem to really do much. Just one the weekend we tried 2.5 mg of short acting Ritalin. He seemed sluggish/sedated and the tics came right back. He didn't have any comments about stomach aches while on Concerta or Adderall. Appetite was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    My kids have only taken the ADHD meds that are based on methylphenidate. Concerta is one example of a long acting form of methylphenidate.

It worked well for them, but both kids developed some troublesome side effects. Older DD had some nervous habits that exacerbated (tapping her legs, etc.). Younger DD developed more OCD-like behaviors.

They both now take Metadate CD, which is a different form of long acting methyplphenidate. They both take an afternoon short acting booster on week nights because the Metadate does not last long enough for evening activities or homework.

We also had good luck with Ritalin LA (another form of long acting methylphenidate) but we had trouble getting it from our pharmacy which is part of the reason we switched to Metadate.
    Beth, did either of your girls take Adderall? I'm just wondering because I noticed that DS3 started some nervous habits too. He has chewed his nails down to the base so badly the nail is deformed. Also he picks frequently at his skin and has large scabs on his hands and face. We insisted to the doctor that this picking started at the same time as the medication but the doctor refused to believe it had anything to do with the medication. I'm afraid that the picking will continue or increase with Concerta. Every night I sneak in his room after he's asleep and dab on neosporin because if I don't they get bigger after a day at school.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS is on 54mg of Concerta. He is a small 11yo. I can honestly say that he's had almost no side effects, no zombiness, and is far more pleasant to be around (besides the normal preteen stuff).
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

Quote Originally Posted by jse107 View Post
    DS is on 54mg of Concerta. He is a small 11yo. I can honestly say that he's had almost no side effects, no zombiness, and is far more pleasant to be around (besides the normal preteen stuff).
    This is encouraging. Ds3 is 7yo and will start on 18mg (the lowest dosage) to see if there are any side effects like the ones he currently has. If it goes well, we will increase the dosage. Keeping our fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    This is encouraging. Ds3 is 7yo and will start on 18mg (the lowest dosage) to see if there are any side effects like the ones he currently has. If it goes well, we will increase the dosage. Keeping our fingers crossed!
    Hope it works well for your DS. My 12 year old DS has been taking Concerta for six years. He is currently on 36mg a day. He had been on 54mg a day, but had trouble falling asleep so we went back down to 36mg. So far it seems to be working for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast