Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default DD is freezing at swim lessons - ideas?

DD absolutely freezes at her swim lessons (indoor pool). She is extremely skinny with no body fat. Her lips, fingers, and toes turn blue. She wants to swim better and I want her to learn to swim better, so we have tried a few shortie wetsuits but nothing is working so far. They are too baggy on her to do any good. Any suggestions? I would really like her to continue swimming but she is cold and usually wants to end the lesson early.
    Last edited by TwoBees; 10-10-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We put my really thin DS in a full body wetsuit and it helped. He had one this thickness (don't see the exact one). We live near cold ocean water so it wasn't bought just for swim lessons it did keep him from turning blue and helped him enjoy the lessons more.

http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuit...oneill+wetsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    We put my really thin DS in a full body wetsuit and it helped. He had one this thickness (don't see the exact one). We live near cold ocean water so it wasn't bought just for swim lessons it did keep him from turning blue and helped him enjoy the lessons more.

http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuit...oneill+wetsuit
    Based on their size chart, she would be a toddler/youth size 1 by weight and a 3 by height.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How old is she? My string bean grew out of his 3T one at age 5, and we bought it when he was 4. I found the actual wetsuit I bought him. Thank goodness I have my Amazon order history to function as my memory. He's very low on the height & weight chart, but that's another post.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Find a heated pool. Seriously, it makes all the difference.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

How old? We have a heated rec pool at our YMCA for preschool lessons and the lowest level school age lessons. By the time they are in the (cold) lap pool, the usually swim enough to keep warm.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Try a different pool. Our pool at the Y keeps the water super warm, like 78 degrees. I felt like I was taking a bath when I did the mommy and me swim lessons,

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    Find a heated pool. Seriously, it makes all the difference.
    Our swim coach is at a heated indoor pool throughout the year. Mine complain as soon as they get out of the water, but before and during is no issue.

It's the Y, and I had assumed the pool is heated. I haven't actually been in it myself, I'm going to call tomorrow and verify. None of the other kids are cold though.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Try a different pool. Our pool at the Y keeps the water super warm, like 78 degrees. I felt like I was taking a bath when I did the mommy and me swim lessons,
    Seventy eight is actually pretty cold.

Our swim school:
    Our teaching pool is heated to 93°F to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable swimming environment. Our lap pool is heated to 83°F for comfortable lap swimming.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast