HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Dragon naturally speaking software

Does anybody have a child who uses Dragon Naturally Speaking software for schoolwork? We are looking into it for 11 yr old DS and I can't tell if I need to buy the educational package or the home version. I also can't seem to find if there any other software programs out there that do the same thing? Anyone with any experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My husband uses the home version to type his papers for his phd program. He has to speak slowly and really enunciate to make it work. I could chicken peck typing the paper faster than the program works. I'd see if you could try it out before purchasing.

I suggest trying the voice to text option in Google Docs. It is free and works well with both children and adult voices. My son and I both use it.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I use dragon at work. It's slow at first, but over time you train your dragon to know your voice and it gets much better. I've never used the edu or home versions.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 11 yo uses the home version and it works great. I would suggest buying a different headset microphone than the one that comes with the program. You don't have to spend a lot. We bought a $30 one on Amazon and it is very accurate for him.

We don't have it, but have considered it. It was recommended to us by someone who uses the program a lot to get a digital microphone to use with the program.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)