Default Any tips for working out early in the morning?

I started a new job that is 7-4. I was jogging after work but after juggling our schedules and with the end of daylight saving time, it's dark by the time I can get out there. I'm going to try to go to the gym at 5 a.m., shower quickly, get ready and be on the road to work by 6:40. Any tips for early morning exercise?
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The only way I can make it work is to go to a class or meet a friend to run. The accountability is key for me!! But the purbar class is ten mins from my house. I go from 530 to 625, come home to get ready and leave for work at 745.

Are you looking for what kinds of exercise to do, or motivation to get out of bed? Do you go every day? I usually go Mon, Wed, Fri, sat. It helps to have Tues, Thurs off and at home.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The only way I can successfully make exercise work is to do it early. I don't like to run when it is dark, so I usually do an exercise video. I get up at 5:30/5:45 and work out for 30-50 minutes, then get ready for work. It sucks, but it's the only way I can make it work. I run on weekends and at lunch on my telework days.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I workout everyday at 5am. I am a morning person, so that helps. My tip is get to bed early, have everything you need for the morning ready and bounce out of bed when that alarm goes off. I love doing my workout early, I never slack cause I don't get up at 5am to slack off and I feel a sense of accomplishment before most people are even awake for the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Go to bed early... I find that after 9pm I am usually not doing anything productive anyway so I can skip the TV shows and go to bed. Have everything out and ready the night before... Work out clothes, shoes, gym bag. I'm assuming your planning to shower at the gym? You may want to get doubles of some things like brush or makeup so you can keep bag packed. If you plan to eat before your workout have something ready that you can grab and eat in car the way. Know that the hardest part is getting out of bed and the accomplishment you will feel after will be worth it. Think of the time you will gain for yourself when you are not adding the workout to the end of your day.

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    Are you looking for what kinds of exercise to do, or motivation to get out of bed? Do you go every day? I usually go Mon, Wed, Fri, sat. It helps to have Tues, Thurs off and at home.
    Motivation, mostly, or ideas on how to make it stick! I was jogging three or four times a week after work before, so I'm hoping to hit the gym three times during the week and then go outside during daylight on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    The only way I can successfully make exercise work is to do it early. I don't like to run when it is dark, so I usually do an exercise video. I get up at 5:30/5:45 and work out for 30-50 minutes, then get ready for work. It sucks, but it's the only way I can make it work. I run on weekends and at lunch on my telework days.
    I tried videos, but I found it way too easy to sleep in when the alternative meant working out in the living room! The gym membership is paid for by my work, so I figured it's worth a try. I am not willing to run in the dark, whether it's morning or night... we have way too few streetlights.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaMama View Post
    I workout everyday at 5am. I am a morning person, so that helps. My tip is get to bed early, have everything you need for the morning ready and bounce out of bed when that alarm goes off. I love doing my workout early, I never slack cause I don't get up at 5am to slack off and I feel a sense of accomplishment before most people are even awake for the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have never been a morning person, but I'm trying! I was able to get to the gym today at 5:15 (when it opens), did 45 minutes on the treadmill and then got ready for work. I promised myself a regular coffee from Starbucks if I made it, so that helped! I did notice I had way more energy by 8 a.m. compared to normal!

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Go to bed early... I find that after 9pm I am usually not doing anything productive anyway so I can skip the TV shows and go to bed. Have everything out and ready the night before... Work out clothes, shoes, gym bag. I'm assuming your planning to shower at the gym? You may want to get doubles of some things like brush or makeup so you can keep bag packed. If you plan to eat before your workout have something ready that you can grab and eat in car the way. Know that the hardest part is getting out of bed and the accomplishment you will feel after will be worth it. Think of the time you will gain for yourself when you are not adding the workout to the end of your day.
    Thank you! I'm thinking of going to Ulta and getting some sample sizes of things too. I think packing/unpacking the bag all the time would get annoying... I'm definitely eager to have more time in the evenings to spend with the kids, since I don't see them in the morning anyway (even without the gym, I'm out of the house by 6:45 and they wake up with DH at 7:15).
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11