Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Treadmill or Elliptical - How did you choose what you have?

We are contemplating a treadmill or elliptical for the basement for the winter. I plan on buying off Craigslist, can't afford new and would like something decent quality. I am used to gym treadmills and ellipticals, so I think a cheapo would just be frustrating, but I don't think I can afford gym level. We are willing to pay for quality, but I see a gym-level one (Matrix T5X) for $2500 on Craigslist that was $4500 new, and that just seems crazy.

How did you choose what you have? What brand/model?
    Last edited by Mommy_Mea; 11-16-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a treadmill. I was a runner prekids and liked being able to run when the weather turned in winter. I've only used an elliptical a few times - they intimidate me - so I wasn't sure I would love it enough to buy one. If I was comfortable with an elliptical like you are, I would probably opt for that since you can work both arms and legs. Pick what you love so you'll want to use it.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I run outside but prefer an elliptical type machine at the gym. I like the variety. I've also had running injuries and I can maintain my cardio on the other machine as it doesn't aggravate the various issues. I use a machine that's more a hybrid. It can move like an elliptical or stepper or one other motion. I love not being locked into a motion.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I run outside but prefer an elliptical type machine at the gym. I like the variety. I've also had running injuries and I can maintain my cardio on the other machine as it doesn't aggravate the various issues. I use a machine that's more a hybrid. It can move like an elliptical or stepper or one other motion. I love not being locked into a motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    We have a treadmill. I was a runner prekids and liked being able to run when the weather turned in winter. I've only used an elliptical a few times - they intimidate me - so I wasn't sure I would love it enough to buy one. If I was comfortable with an elliptical like you are, I would probably opt for that since you can work both arms and legs. Pick what you love so you'll want to use it.
    I agree, I don't want to go cheap because I am worried I won't use it after being used to gym level. I am a runner, and can find treadmills tedious, and typically mix it up with elliptical at the gym.

What model do you have at home?
    Last edited by Mommy_Mea; 11-16-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Other: a rower! I find treadmills tedious and never liked ellipticals. Once I discovered rowers, I was hooked. We do have a treadmill, but my 9yo is the only one that uses it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Other: a rower! I find treadmills tedious and never liked ellipticals. Once I discovered rowers, I was hooked. We do have a treadmill, but my 9yo is the only one that uses it at this point.
    I would love a rower, I rowed in college but not sure I could get DH on board. We are only getting one item, so we need to agree!

Of course, now you have me searching Craigslist.
    Last edited by Mommy_Mea; 11-16-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

we have a rower. It is the Concept2 model.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

We have neither, but I'd prefer a treadmill to an elliptical. I find it hard to really challenge myself on the elliptical. It's easier for me to make progress on the treadmill, and I prefer the treadmill workout. You should get whichever machine you most like using at the gym!

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

following along. DH really really wants to get a gym quality treadmill (life fitness in particular) but the $5,000 price tag is ridiculous to me. I'm hoping there is a high quality option out there, that doesn't carry such a high price tag.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I agree, I don't want to go cheap because I am worried I won't use it after being used to gym level. I am a runner, and can find treadmills tedious, and typically mix it up with elliptical at the gym.

What model do you have at home?
    We have a Landice Pro Trainer. We've had it going on six years. I dropped my gym membership when we bought it to help me mentally pay for it. I started my gym membership back when we had paid the cost via gym membership savings. I might do the same this winter with a new machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast