View Poll Results: Would you take your family to NYC with a terror threat?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course! Don't let them win!

24 46.15%
  • Maybe - it would definitely give me pause.

16 30.77%
  • Um, no. Cancel cancel cancel.

10 19.23%
  • Turkey and stuffing. (Other)

2 3.85%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would. The video is really nothing new and not any specific threat. From what I've read it was just re-released footage to create fear and "terror". Go, have fun but stay vigilant. Your probably more at risk driving your car. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nypd-com...reatening-nyc/

We have not changed our plans to go down on Wednesday, spend the night in Manhattan and see the parade on Thursday.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn't, but large crowds are not my thing. The added threat would make my decision a "no."
    K

I would go. I refuse to let fear rule my life. For me, that is no way to live.

But I moved to London during a spate of IRA bombings.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't think it's "don't let them" win so much as, I do not believe a word ISIS says. They are very scary, but when they hit next, it will be without warning.... meanwhile they will try to create as much fear as possible around other targets.

This is something we have almost no control over. Just live your life, and count your blessings. So lucky to be worrying about Times Square and not fleeing as a refugee.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I selected I wouldn't and I live in one of the boroughs. I will take DDs to Rockefeller center to see the tree before December but that's about it. I'm from a country that was plagued with a civil war for 30 years and I have first hand experience in what it is to live in fear. But I still won't go. No matter how much police/military presence is there, where suicide bombers are concerned anything can happen. Where I'm from, I remember few times when the bombers were stopped for random checking they would detonate and although its wasn't the intended people, there's always a number of casualties. So no, I won't go when crowds are high.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    It won't necessarily be as crazy as you think, especially if you go during the week - but not New Year's Eve! (Even I wouldn't be caught in the vicinity then.)
    I forgot if it was the Sunday before Christmas or the Sunday after, but I went with DD into the City to meet a friend. We decided to go to the tree and hit pedestrian gridlock around 48th. It was just unpleasant, like being squished in a subway in Tokyo during rush hour, except people were supposedly trying to move.

DD is mostly good, but occasionally tries to get ahead of me, and I just can't risk it in those sorts of crowds, it's why I am leery of taking her to Japan with me this Summer as well.

If we do go, we're likely to go to a museum and I'm debating driving in.... infamous last words. heheh.
    Last edited by rkold; 11-20-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    Mother to DD 10/2010

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you have to just keep living life. For the first three months after 9/11 I literally had mini panic attacks every morning on the way to work when the subway would go under the river from Brooklyn to Manhattan. I was convinced someone was going to blow it up and I would be trapped and die. I wore sneakers every day and carried shoes so that I would be prepared to run on the tracks if/when needed. I looked like Working Girl and did not care.

I feel unsettled and do think something will happen...at some point soon-ish. but I'm not sure when. and you can't just wait for forever. I don't work in the city anymore, but DH travels through TS every day to and from work.

we're taking the kids to see the rockettes later in Dec and will visit the tree, etc.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have always tried to imagine what it's like to live in a place where terrorism is a constant. I would still try to live my life, but it is so hard. I'd love to go to NYC for the holidays.

So, this hits kind of close to home because my husband is a Rescue Medic in the city. Watching the footage of Paris was hard for me...take my breath away kind of hard...because it brought back all too well the days after 9/11 and the reminder that this is the stuff my husband has the potential of being in the middle of every day. Most of the time you push it out of your mind, because that's what you have to do to get through the day.
    I will say, though, that there are constant threats against NYC. All.the.time. Constant. This week is no different than any other week except that people's nerves are on edge, and of course, terrorists will look to take advantage of that and create as much fear as they possibly can. I do not think there is any substance to the threat. My children want to go to the parade and my only consideration in whether or not we should go is the weather.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast