View Poll Results: Would you take your family to NYC with a terror threat?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course! Don't let them win!

24 46.15%
  • Maybe - it would definitely give me pause.

16 30.77%
  • Um, no. Cancel cancel cancel.

10 19.23%
  • Turkey and stuffing. (Other)

2 3.85%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I voted maybe. It's not really a possibility for us though, so it's all theoretical. If we were offered tickets to the Superbowl, we'd go.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

**** Isis. I have a colleague going to NYC today and it did not even cross my mind that he might consider not going or to worry. I would not change any plans to NYC.
    Last edited by elektra; 11-20-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    DD
    DS

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I was more worried about bringing my kids into a potentially dangerous situation. But I suppose NYC is always potentially dangerous.

We're still going. (Maybe we'll see you there or on the train, Candace! ) The bright side of a new terror threat is hotel prices dropped. I just rebooked our room and saved $500. The bargain hunter in me is happy, LOL.

ETA: And really, if things change - a more specific threat or if I become non-functioning due to constant worry - I won't care at all how much money we lose on the weekend. Our lives and safety are worth more than a few thousand dollars.

My brother was in Hoboken on 9/11 and said he would seriously consider not going. But pointed out NYC is under threat every single day, by terrorists or just plain crazy people or whoever. So, you make a choice.
    Last edited by Twoboos; 11-21-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post

ETA: And really, if things change - a more specific threat or if I become non-functioning due to constant worry - I won't care at all how much money we lose on the weekend. Our lives and safety are worth more than a few thousand dollars.

My brother was in Hoboken on 9/11 and said he would seriously consider not going. But pointed out NYC is under threat every single day, by terrorists or just plain crazy people or whoever. So, you make a choice.
    About that:

I was in Newark, NJ on 9/11.
    Our office was dismissed early and the then-boyfriend and I took a train to Hoboken ... and walked to Jersey City.
    Even with what I saw that day (not a lot, admittedly) I would still absolutely go.

I'm glad you found your comfort zone and your stop point, though, and hope you're not only able to take the trip, but that you also enjoy it. {{{hugs}}}
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So we went and had a great time. There were police/military everywhere, both at the parade and all over the city in general.

We did a ton and the weather was gorgeous so we totally lucked out with that. Overall I'm glad we went. The girls loved it, we'll probably go back another time but I'm fine with skipping the parade in the future, LOL.

Turns out I have one City Mouse and one Country Mouse. DD1 can't wait to live in NY. DD2 thought there were too many people, and was overwhelmed. But they both said there were too many smokers!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4