Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    I am hoping that this is not the case with the non-kid Kindle Fire (that the Wi-Fi isn't disabled when it's memory is full), if they are exactly the same then we will probably skip them because DS will have it full in 2 minutes.
    We have an 8GB regular fire and there's no space for anything!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I am hoping that this is not the case with the non-kid Kindle Fire (that the Wi-Fi isn't disabled when it's memory is full), if they are exactly the same then we will probably skip them because DS will have it full in 2 minutes.
    SO- even if you have a micro SD card , it still automatically disables WiFi?
    I am also thinking of getting this ( Kids Vs the regular one is my dilemma) for my DD's 6th birthday in 2 months..
    Can you still enable parental controls in the normal kindle fire?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisy13 View Post
    I am also thinking of getting this ( Kids Vs the regular one is my dilemma) for my DD's 6th birthday in 2 months..
    If you have the micro SD and therefore more GB then it won't disable wifi.

I will say that DD1 had over 300 pics and probably 20 videos (some of them more than 2min each) that she took that ate up the memory. You can disable the camera/video function if you wish to.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    If you have the micro SD and therefore more GB then it won't disable wifi.

I will say that DD1 had over 300 pics and probably 20 videos (some of them more than 2min each) that she took that ate up the memory. You can disable the camera/video function if you wish to.
    thank you! can you get the "youtube kids" app in the kid profile? also-do parental controls work without their subscription service? sorry about the many many questions. We have ipads for DH and myself. I had promised DD her own ereader/ tab if she starts reading before her 6th birthday so want to get her something thats a little controllable if you know what I mean.

So now i'm really frustrated....I have been working on my xmas amazon cart all day and was ready to pull the trigger and order when the price on the kids edition went BACK UP to 99.99 instead of 84.99. WHAT THE CRAP just happened? I thought this deal was going on all week?

ETA: it keeps going in and out of stock through amazon. I pulled the trigger the moment it was back in stock for $85. Hopefully, we like it. We have an ipad that doesn't ever get touched and an old kindle fire with free time on it that my three kids fight over. hopefully, this puts an end to the disagreements.
    Last edited by megs4413; 11-23-2015 at 07:27 PM.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Quote Originally Posted by daisy13 View Post
    So one of the reviews on the regular Kindle Fire mentions that it won't let them download music to the SD card and just like the Kids Fire, the WiFi does disconnect once the memory is full. I think we're going to pass on both of these for now because that's a pretty crappy design flaw.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...#R316FTNKZ7B09
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

So one of the reviews on the regular Kindle Fire mentions that it won't let them download music to the SD card and just like the Kids Fire, the WiFi does disconnect once the memory is full. I think we're going to pass on both of these for now because that's a pretty crappy design flaw.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...#R316FTNKZ7B09

Apparently it has been fixed..
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R316FTN...x10TSEJZ26CNB9

also you can download the media to your SD card in your computer and then use it on the kindle.

One question though does this work for ebooks also? or can you only store ebooks in the internal memory.

These comments have been helpful, thanks! I was leaning towards the regular fire tablet vs the kids fire because it seemed like free time was permanent on the kids tablet but I could add/remove it from the regular tablet. Does anyone know if this is true?

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We bought the regular Fire for the kids to use. We set up a kids account and overall it's great. The only thing they complain about is that you cannot 'buy' free upgrades while gaming. I still have to figure that one out. Also, they cannot access Prime music when on the kids account.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We bought the regular Fire for the kids to use. We set up a kids account and overall it's great. The only thing they complain about is that you cannot 'buy' free upgrades while gaming. I still have to figure that one out. Also, they cannot access Prime music when on the kids account.
    Ha! Well, that's perfect, I don't want my kids buying anything! I've narrowly missed being the owner of some very pricey games/upgrades which is the whole reason we want to get a tablet for them that has the ability to have parental controls.

I understand not being able to access Prime music from the Cloud, but can they access downloaded Prime music?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast