Default Best tablet for younger kids?

I need help! I'm trying to buy my two DDs (ages 4 & 6) tablets for Christmas and don't know which ones would be best for them (too many choices and I'm not techie at all!). I've considered the Fire for kids tablet (they have a deal right now too), the smaller $50 Fire, or perhaps the Mini I-pad. if your kids are using any of these can you please share any feedback you might have. I would truly appreciate it.

TIA!
    Mary
    Mommy to two wonderful girls!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids have had an iPad since they were two. With a strong case, it holds up well. We have had them for three years and it has been well worth the money.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

An iPad with a survivor case.

I just saw that there was another thread with pretty much the same question, how funny. Guess I'm not the only one who is trying to figure which tablet is best for kids. Thanks for your feedback!
    Mary
    Mommy to two wonderful girls!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have both kindle and iPads the kindles get no love iPads are used every day. Survivor cases rock! I'll never buy another kindle for a adult or a kid.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

There's a new 7 inch $49.99 Kindle Fire that DD2 (age 5) is getting for Hanukkah. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2493935,00.asp
    It's mostly going to be for games during long travel - her sister has a Kindle and we block most content.

for Sandy Hook

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My kids love their Kindles. Dh has an ipad, we have an ipod mini, and neither one is exciting to them. We're just not Apple lovers here. IME, its not the tablet but what is on the tablet that makes the difference. When there is a game they like, then that device becomes their favorite. We've had Kindles for 18 months now and they have been great. No complaints from me.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My DD2 has had access to the family iPad Mini since we got it when she was 3/1/2. We had an Otterbox Defender and now have a slightly lighter Fintie brand case w/a fave cover. I like the Fintie case much better, but if your kids are klutzy or want to move around with their tablets I would do an Otterbox or other tank like case.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and love it, and have had no Kindle Fires, but I think overall if you can afford it the iPad Mini is a great tablet for kids and super easy to use.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-24-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)