Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hugs. Just another post to say think about all meds he has taken, not just for anxiety. I took accutane as a teen for acne, and I recall that it has terrible side effects like intrusive thoughts, especially for boys. Good luck with the counseling appt.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I don't have any btdt to offer, but I wanted to chime in and say that I do know a young boy with violent thoughts (turning 9 in a few weeks). Signs of anxiety but is un-treated. Family is waiting to see a therapist. I hope the appointment goes well tomorrow.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You're doing the right thing! The best place to start is with a therapist. Also, it's great that he's sharing his concerns with you. I would be even more concerned if you didn't know. My son has anxiety (no violent thoughts) and being on Zoloft has been super helpful for him.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

Quote Originally Posted by ShanaMama View Post
    Hugs. Just another post to say think about all meds he has taken, not just for anxiety. I took accutane as a teen for acne, and I recall that it has terrible side effects like intrusive thoughts, especially for boys. Good luck with the counseling appt.
    Shanamama, that is a great point. He doesn't take any meds. He performs very well academically despite lots of moments unfocused, disorganized, etc. He is a very bright boy. I will add that at 10 he developed a fear of heights that he didn't have before. I think it must be hormones are starting these fears. I will update after therapist. I found it very hard to find resources. We don't talk about these things because there is a fear of what happens. Then I read this and think this could be my child: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/21/us...pgtype=article

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Yay for you for your bravery in posting on here AND for dealing with this head-on. I agree with others that it is a very positive sign that DS is sharing with you. I know how hard it is to keep yourself in the present, but try to take things day to day and not read "this could be us" articles.

Post back for more support...we will be there for you!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Persistent thoughts are not that uncommon with anxiety, although it can feel very distressing. My DD has struggled with this at times. As her therapist explained, these are thoughts that everyone has from time to time. The difference is that they tend to get "stuck" in the minds of some people with anxiety.

Medication may help, as can just working through the thoughts with a therapist.

But know that it doesn't mean your DS is highly unusual or that this is a harbinger of dire outcomes.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2