Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Nintendo 2DS question- total newbie

DS has been wanting a Nintendo DS for some time now. He only wants to play Pokemon games with his cousins online. Fortunately one of his older cousins is going to give him her old (pink )2DS. I am able to find some Pokemon DS games that are around $40 online. That's expensive but still a lot cheaper than buying the newer 3DS. I am afraid of buying a game that will only play on the newer 3DS version- how can I tell if it will be compatible with the 2DS? I am not familiar with Nintendo at all and wondering if it's worth investing into an 'old' system.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

All of the 3DS games work on the 2DS. We have one of each and they work the same. The 2DS isn't really an old system. It's just a less frills version of the current one. Both the 2DS and 3DS are the same age.

oh that's great to know that 3DS games work on the 2DS! I will be on the lookout for games. Is Game Stop or buying used worth it? The $40 price tag is a bit high for the Pokemon game. That will eat into our Christmas budget for DS.

Update---oops, just found out DS's cousin has a DS Lite, not a 2DS. Shoot, I don't think they are compatible with newer games. I guess I'll be on the look out for a new DS.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No they are not compatible. But older games will play on the 3DS.

I went through this same thing last year. We ended up with the 3DS because younger DD wanted to be able to play the newer games and also wanted the case to fold. Otherwise we might have gone for the 2DS.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS & DD both have the 2DS. While there is some game function on a few games that requires the New 3DS (basically anything that involves the Amibos), I think you can play any of the games on it. They play against friends who have the DS & the 3DS. So long as the game is compatible with the DS, they can all play. So, I wouldn't worry about looking for a new DS if you have the 2DS, since the 2DS will play all of the games that either a 3DS or a DS will play.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

The majority of the 3ds games play on the 2ds. But, the New 3ds has at least 1 game that only plays on the new 3ds, so won't play on my kids 3ds because it's the old one. I think that means it won't play on the 2ds either.

http://www.amazon.com/Xenoblade-Chro...s=new+3ds+game

That is the only game I know that is for the new 3ds only and you can see in the picture that the case says "new 3ds" on it.

I see you now have a Lite instead, so your out on a lot of games. But, unless that game above is one you want, you could get a 2ds and be fine for games. I don't know what the plans are for more 'new only' games.
    Kris

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Head to game stop, they are great and will be able to help you out. Buying a refurbished one has worked well for us.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was just at Target and every game they sell says "playable on 2DS and 3DS". Could be an occasional feature the 3D would be good for but all can work.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I was just at Target and every game they sell says "playable on 2DS and 3DS". Could be an occasional feature the 3D would be good for but all can work.
    Not the one I linked to though. http://www.amazon.com/Xenoblade-Chro...s=new+3ds+game is only on the new 3ds. Not the old 3ds and not the 2ds. The new 3ds came out earlier in 2015, so if your 3ds is from 2014 or earlier, this game won't play. I am sure eventually more will only on the new 3ds, but I have no clue when or how many.
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast