Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What do you like to drink at holiday/winter cocktail parties? Would you try these?

We are the cocktail/ appetizer house for our neighborhood progressive party. Since the appetizers are potluck, I thought I'd offer a few "mix-it-yourself" drink stations in addition to the usual wine, beer and soda. So, what are your favorite holiday/winter themed drinks? If you were at a holiday party, would you enjoy a "build your own mimosa" party or is that too brunch-themed? Some ideas I thought of from the internet are separate stations for Peppermint White Russian (I have the equal parts vodka, Kahlua and peppermint schnapps premixed, add the other stuff to taste), Pomagranite champagne cocktail, Harvested Apple cocktail (just white wine, calvados and something else), and Amaretto Kiss cocktail ( vodka, amaretto and cranberry juice premixed). In addition well have good old beer, wine and soda.

What do you think? Stick with 2-3 cocktail stations? Fewer? Simpler (just pour the premixed stuff and add fruit)?

Suggestions are appreciated!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sounds yummy. You could also have hot spiced cider (similar to your apple cocktail, but people could have it with or without booze), maybe eggnog (again with or without booze.). I think 3 specialty drinks would be perfect.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I used to do a big Christmas party every year and the one thing that always went was the punch. I put bottles of rum and vodka on the side in case anyone wanted to spike their drink. The non-drinkers always loved having a "fun" option.

I think three is a good number. Maybe two that are very seasonal, like a mint or egg nog, and them something more traditional (I personally hate most seasonal drinks, they're usually too sweet, but I also think you should serve them because they're festive.)

I would skip the mimosa idea. Too brunchy. Although a champagne cocktail, like a French 75 would be good. Gin, champagne, simple syrup and lemon.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I agree mimosas are too brunchy. Everyone (but me) seems to like champagne things around the holidays - or anytime, really. I just saw a recipe for a Thanksgiving cider sangria I thought sounded potentially interesting. I hate sweet drinks, so I think it'd be nice to offer something not too sweet. But that's just me. Sounds fun!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Sounds yummy. You could also have hot spiced cider (similar to your apple cocktail, but people could have it with or without booze), maybe eggnog (again with or without booze.). I think 3 specialty drinks would be perfect.
    Love this idea of cider, eggnog, and one other like punch. Very easy to have non-alcoholic versions, yummy, and festive!
    K

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I really like the non-alcoholic option with optional alcohol. It's especially useful if there's any chance you'll be hosting folks that can't drink (early pregnancy, medications, history of alcohol issues, etc) but may not want to broadcast that by sipping on soda while everyone else drinks.

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    We are the cocktail/ appetizer house for our neighborhood progressive party. Since the appetizers are potluck, I thought I'd offer a few "mix-it-yourself" drink stations in addition to the usual wine, beer and soda. So, what are your favorite holiday/winter themed drinks? If you were at a holiday party, would you enjoy a "build your own mimosa" party or is that too brunch-themed? Some ideas I thought of from the internet are separate stations for Peppermint White Russian (I have the equal parts vodka, Kahlua and peppermint schnapps premixed, add the other stuff to taste), Pomagranite champagne cocktail, Harvested Apple cocktail (just white wine, calvados and something else), and Amaretto Kiss cocktail ( vodka, amaretto and cranberry juice premixed). In addition well have good old beer, wine and soda.

What do you think? Stick with 2-3 cocktail stations? Fewer? Simpler (just pour the premixed stuff and add fruit)?

Suggestions are appreciated!
    I like seasonal drinks like gluhwine.http://www.food.com/recipe/gluehwein-gluhwein-151058
    guests can add almond silvers and raisins, etc at the end.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Gatorsmom you've posted about your DH's issues with alcohol, so why is your home the cocktail stop?

i'd be sure to have drinks such as perrier, pellegrino, plus the glass bottled lemonade, etc from trader joe's.

have a great night, sounds like alot of fun!

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Homemade eggnog would be wonderful (with or without alcohol). I would totally love each of the options you listed. Wish I lived in your neighborhood!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast