Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Peppermint is one of those flavors that sticks on my tongue. I'd drink that or eggnog at dessert, but not with appetizers. 2-3 choices seems plenty generous.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm a veteran cocktail party host! This is what I have done/would do:

Come up with two cocktails that have premixed ingredients that you just add the major liquor to, that way people can bring up or down the alcohol level. You had a few good ideas, although I think I wouldn't do the peppermint one unless you knew people would really be into it. (My experience is most adults did something stupid with peppermint schnapps when they were younger and can't drink it now!) One of my favorites for the holiday season is:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ocktail-104447 (Always a big hit) It has some alcohol in the mix, but if you put it with seltzer vs. champagne it's pretty low content, so that's an option.

Then I would pick a few basic gin/vodka/bourbon/tequila based drinks that have 3/4 ingredients. Figure out a reasonable about 4 + 2 of the premade ones are 6 total drinks! Make one a basic martini, have nice olives and twist available for use. Put the recipe on notecards, make two copies each. Have a separate station with some shakers/ice and the ingredients. This will encourage the "cocktail" people to mix something, but not ask for 5-6 ingredients for their specialty that will become a huge production. Have a couple pop items, like small batch bitters and luxardo cherries for a Manhattan, for example, that will impressive people. It's also a great idea to introduce and "old cocktail" people aren't used to, like a gimlet, which is very easy.

I LOVE real eggnog around the holiday. Joy of Cooking has my go to recipe for large batch eggnog with real eggs. Most people have only had the pre-done supermarket kind, so real eggnog tends to be a revelation.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I find mimosas too brunch-y.

I like the premixed stations for drinks. I also like the idea of spiced cider - get mulling spices & either a large tea ball or some cheesecloth & butcher's string because trying to use ground spices is icky, and you can keep it warm in a CrockPot. (We also have a recipe from one of our favorite bands for what they've dubbed a Telluride Toddy, which uses cider, cranberry cocktail, orange liqueur, and tequila.)

When I have my family down, we usually serve Hibiscus Sangria (because it's red), wine, and beer.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Champagne is pretty much the go to drink at all parties I am at these days. It goes faster than even the wine.

While I wouldn't put out a "mimosas" sign for a non-brunch event, a "make your own champagne cocktail" bar is fine. Just champagne and a bunch of mixers.

ETA: Most people will still drink the straight champagne. It is mainly the people who prefer sweeter drinks who will add in mixers. If the question is more make-your-own options or simple pre-mades, pre-made always wins. You can't please everyone with pre-made, but people do not take the time to customize their own drinks when they are socializing. They will order a complicated drink from a bartender, but left to serve themselves, and they just pour a bottle of whatever looks decent.
    Last edited by hwin708; 11-24-2015 at 05:22 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hwin708 View Post
    Champagne is pretty much the go to drink at all parties I am at these days. It goes faster than even the wine.

While I wouldn't put out a "mimosas" sign for a non-brunch event, a "make your own champagne cocktail" bar is always welcome. Just champagne and a bunch of mixers.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hot buttered rum is the biggest hit I have ever observed at a holiday party.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Great suggestions, everyone! So I'll rule out peppermint schnapps drinks, plan on a champagne cocktail station and a couple other cocktail stations. I'm going to have fun this weekend tasting and testing cocktails! Thanks for the suggestions!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

In the new issue of People magazine, there are 5 stars' signature holiday cocktails.

It is the "Special Issue" of People magazine (Holiday 2015) with Nate Berkus on the cover. Pages 66-67.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

I'm a fan of hot spiced apple cider; add rum if you want or not!
    On Thanksgiving, I usually warm it in a saucepan on the stove with 6-8 cloves and 3 sticks of cinnamon. I used to add orange juice to it, but ds1 is allergic to oranges so I don't anymore. I let guests add however much rum they personally want (my 98 year old grandmother still gets a "splash" lol!; I get significantly more because I get the pleasure of my mother in my kitchen looking at what I've done... Lol!) or don't want - still kid friendly w/o the booze!
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

I also like traditional holiday drinks like egg nog and mulled cider. I prefer options that are alcohol optional. I just think it's kind to enable everyone to have the same thing even if they can't or don't choose to drink alcohol. If champagne is a big thing where you are, by all means have champagne with mixing options, but I would prefer traditional holiday drinks plus a punch with the option to add alcohol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast