trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Help with what to wear for family photos

We are having family picture done next week and I am stuck about what to wear. I just had DS last month so I am not loving my body right now and 'the girls' are bigger than usual so I would like to minimize them as much as possible...a dark top without any pattern? I have a pair of dark jeans that I like and denim overalls for DS, but I am stuck about what the rest of us should wear. We will most likely need to go shopping, so inexpensive and easily found would be preferable. TIA!
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I really liked this top I wore for family photos recently. It's sort of a cowl neck, loose top I got at Gap Factory

low res family photo.jpg

I've lost quite a bit of weight lately, but still I'm not comfortable in anything fitted. The photo above was a sneak peak photo from the session. I met with the photographer yesterday to see all of the images and one of the things that struck me is how great some texture can look in a close-up photo. My son is wearing a sweater (Gap) that has some great cable detail and it looked great in the final photos. I also loved the coat my daughter wore (Hurley brand - she had green eyes and it brought out the color really well in some close-ups). Both my DS's sweater and DD's coat were last minute additions because of the chilly weather and we ended up using them in most of the photos.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree with finding a nice cozy sweater to wear. I would hit Old Navy or the Gap and get something everyone likes and reasonably coordinates
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor tend to be posed seated or stacked (taller in back, shorter in front) and I find it can be easy to hide flaws if you are positioned the right way. Outside you can do a great coat or scarf or poncho sweater. I think having the right color top for your coloring is more important than a dark shade. Your face, eyes, hair will pop if you are wearing a flattering color.

Color combos we've done:
    grey, black, pink
    hot pink, grass green
    navy, lt blue, orange
    chocolate brown, taupe, orange

I usually have the girls in coordinating (sometimes matching) outfits that have some type of print or pattern w/ multiple colors and then pull out a color from that for DH and I to wear. So the green/pink year, DDs were in tank dresses with a white, pink, green chevron print. I wore a solid hot pink cotton dress. DH wore khaki shorts and a green golf shirt. The navy year the DDs had coordinating but not matching outfits from Carters that had navy, pink, and orange in them. I wore jeans with a pink t-shirt and navy cardi, DH also wore jeans and a very subtle patterned button down with a lt blue vneck sweater.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.