Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help me shop for a new car!

Not that I can afford it...but my old car is a 2003 and has over 150k on it and is costing around 1k in repairs every year. I think we need a second car anyway with the kids and if this one breaks, I will be in a desperate situation since I have to drive to and for work. So I am looking for the cheapest SUV or sports SUV that is also relatively decent
    Non-negotiables are automatic transmission and ability to drive well in snow so 4WD or AWD
    I need to be able to seat at least 4 people although kids are out of big car seats and we really only need boosters
    I could probably be persuaded to get a sedan if it's much cheaper, and you love it
    So what is the best deal out there right now? Maybe this should be in the bargain alert forum, but also really looking for recs along the less expensive range of cars.
    Thanks so much!!
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Are you looking for new or is used an option?
    Last edited by abh5e8; 11-24-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: I love love love my Toyota matrix. Very roomy back seats, and its a hatch batch, so good cargo space. I think snow tires are better then 4wd on ice and snow.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Agree with pp- you don't need AWD. Traction control and snow tires are good and you'll have a lot more options!
    A Honda Civic would work.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    Are you looking for new or is used an option?
    Used is not an option...I've never owned a new car, but I'm sick of all the problems I've had with used. I'd really like a couple of years without car problems, I have no skill with cars and the constant stress and expense of dealing with repair shops is wearying.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

I highly recommend Honda as a brand. I've owned an Accord, a CRV , an Odyssey (my current car), and a Civic (DH's current car). I've also owned Toyota, VW, Audi, and Ford. I'm a HUGE fan of the Hondas!!!

We live in the mountains in the land of snow. I do have snow tires for my Ody. I want DH to get snow tires for his Civic. He did get stuck on our mile long steep hill once last winter. Just once, though. The CRV was a used car. DH's previous Civic was used, too. All the others have been new cars. The Hondas just keep on going and going. They're easy and inexpensive to maintain and repair. I've never been disappointed in a Honda, including the used ones. The only reason we've gotten new ones is to change the model of vehicle or because the cars were damaged in accidents, and, though they were not totaled, we just felt better about trading them in and starting fresh. They have great trade-in value.

I'd recommend you look at CRVs and Pilots, and don't be afraid to buy used if the cost is too high. Hondas will last well over 100,000 miles. I have a friend who has a civic with over 200,000 miles on it, and she's only ever had to make minor repairs. It's the only car she's ever owned, and she's had it since the early 90s, I think! My Ford Explorer on the other hand cost me a small fortune after 100,000 miles, and I would never, ever buy a used non-Honda again!!!

Stay away from Dodge! We bought a Caravan new, it's just under 3 years old and not even 50k in miles and has already had to have the transmission rebuilt. And even worse was that it gave me no warning before it went out, I had luckily just pulled off the highway [with all 3 of my kids in it with me] but the check engine light didn't even come on until it was no longer driveable.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We LOVED our Subaru Forester. It drove well, was dependable and amazingly stable in snow and rain. You can fit 5, but it's a tight fit.

When it needed to be replaced, we bought a Mazda 5 because we still have a kid in a car seat but also wanted the option of more seats. The Mazda is also fine in bad weather, but nothing fazed our Forester

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

[QUOTE=kali;4150404]We LOVED our Subaru Forester. It drove well, was dependable and amazingly stable in snow and rain. You can fit 5, but it's a tight fit.

Forester or Outback would be my suggestions! We love our Outback but a good friend has a Forester and I really like it as well. The cargo space of an Outback is bigger, so that may be a factor.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Have you checked out Hyundai? Both the Tucson and Santa Fe are nice and you can usually get a good deal.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Ditto what 123LuckyMom said! After a lot of used car problems before my first Honda I will never buy anything else. I love my Pilot but still miss my sportier accord.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast