Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Early chapter book suggestions for a picky kid

DS2 is in 1st grade - reading on grade level, possibly a wee bit above. He's exceptionally socially aware, has a high achieving brother, and deals with anxiety.

He has asked for chapter books that he can read for Christmas. His reading level exceeds his patience level, so he needs something that has a fair bit of white space on the page. They also can't be "babyish" - so my favorites like Henry and Mudge, Frog and Toad, etc. are out (and also a bit below his reading level, but out anyway).

Any suggestions? It's top of his list for us and for Santa, so I really want to find some good ones.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Magic Treehouse books are mostly 2.2 grade level (accelerated reader) My first grader is able to read them.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nate the Great (lots to choose from in this series), A to Z Mysteries, Cam Jansen mysteries (or Young Cam Jansen), Magic School Bus (the non chapter book ones and the easy reader chapter books ones), Black Lagoon books (again, lots in the series and popular with my DS2)
    K

My DS is also in first grade and he loved the mercy watson series. He read them pretty quick so not sure if I would buy them or just get from the library. He is just starting magic tree house and he seems to like them so far but we have to skip over the books with subjects that scare him (like dinosaurs).

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Another vote for mercy Watson
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Another vote for Mercy Watson, Cam Jansen and Nate the Great.

One series that hasn't been mentioned yet is Fly Guy. My DD loved them in first grade- they're pretty hilarious.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS2 is in first grade too. He loves the MAgic Treehouse books, A to Z Mysteries, Enid Blyton books, anything with Pokemon and Harry Potter. He likes Cam Jansen books and the Who Would Win series. He loved Fly Guy when he was in preschool. I'd get some of the $1 per book sets from the scholastic book order and see what he likes. DS2 also really likes Flat Stanley.

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS likes a lot of the books already mentioned.

Also:

Stink (Judy Moody's younger brother, same author)

Captain Awesome
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by schrocat View Post
    DS2 is in first grade too. He loves the MAgic Treehouse books, A to Z Mysteries, Enid Blyton books, anything with Pokemon and Harry Potter. He likes Cam Jansen books and the Who Would Win series. He loved Fly Guy when he was in preschool. I'd get some of the $1 per book sets from the scholastic book order and see what he likes. DS2 also really likes Flat Stanley.
    DS8 loved Fly Guy and Flat Stanley. He also liked Junie B Jones for a brief period. He has now moved on to Diary of A Wimpy Kid. It is a higher reading level, but very entertaining.

So few people know of Enid Blyton. Have you been able to find them in the US?
    mom to Billy 12/07

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You have gotten a lot of great suggestions above! One thing you could try is reading the first in a series together as I often find that motivates them to try the others and feel less intimated by them as they already know characters names, etc.

Another series I might suggest is the Hey Jack series (they are an Usborne series and have a female character sister series called Billie B Brown - Jack and Billie are friends and appear in each other's books). They are a great beginning chapter book - good picture support, larger font, shorter but still a chapter book with an enjoyable, appealing storyline. I wish I had know about them when I taught first grade as they are a great transition to chapter books for kids who are ready but still building that reading stamina.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast