Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post

So few people know of Enid Blyton. Have you been able to find them in the US?
    Amazon actually has pretty good prices on some Enid Blyton sets occasionally through third party sellers. I watch the sets and buy them when the price drops. I grew up reading Enid Blyton and the chapters in her books with the magical characters are perfect for bedtime reading. I also buy Enid Blyton books at book depository.

There's another series that my sons love and you can find it on amazon but it won't be published in the US till next year. It's the Sherlock Sam series. Good for more advanced readers but clean cut and good for younger children.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD1 (also in first and reading at grade level) LOVES Bad Kitty. Each book has enough pages to feel like a chapter book. Lots of illustrations (and therefore pages move quickly for the impatient reader). And, it's funny I've read some of it with her and it's a good mix of easy-to-read and more challenging. I got her the boxed set from Costco.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    The Magic Treehouse books are mostly 2.2 grade level (accelerated reader) My first grader is able to read them.
    or maybe some Geronimo Stilton books.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the great ideas. Part of the problem is really my fault - he's gone through a lot of the options with his 3rd grade brother, who read to him when he was learning. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but now he wants new books. I'm going to check out Hey Jack , Geronimo Stilton and some of the others. He's heard all of the Magic Treehouse books, but isn't quite at that level yet anyway. I think it *could* read them, but the word density would set off his anxiety. In so many ways this kiddo is his own worst enemy. He is much more capable than he gives himself credit for - which is the total opposite of his brother (who is quite capable, but has a huge ego).

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is he willing to read on the Kindle? I found my son was eased into the jump to chapter books by doing some reading on the Kindle -- where he couldn't see how long the book was and we could adjust font size to be easier to follow.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    Stink (Judy Moody's younger brother, same author)
    I was going to say, DS loved the Stink books in second grade.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DS loved reading the scholastic Ready Freddy books. These are early chapter books with one or two paragraphs on each page with frequent pen/ink pictures. As a bonus, the author hid the word Finn somehwere in the picutres for the reader to find. The books are about an early elementary boy who loves sharks. Many of the books are available on Amazon, but Scholastic often has special prices.

http://www.amazon.com/Tooth-Trouble-...SA62T4F44N2SH3

DS also enjoy the Black Lagoon books. One collection seems more like picture books; the other is more like early chapter books.

http://www.amazon.com/Teacher-Black-...9A9Y1QR33X08VV

http://www.amazon.com/Class-Trip-Bla...s=black+lagoon

Good Luck!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nate the Great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2