Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would you get a cream colored leather couch?

I am working on furnishing our new house... Woo hoo! Trying to take advantage of sales even though we aren't quite ready for furniture. I'm looking at Macy's. I've had outstanding experience with their customer service so I'm not worried about buying a couch online. I'm relying heavily on reviews. The couch I want comes in a cream (I think it's called oyster) brown & slate grey. My living room will be tiled- the tiles are a beautiful mix of grays, creams and some taupe. I think the cream is so fresh and versatile for accesorizing but I'm worried that it will look dingy after a while. The main concern is practicality. My kids will sit on the couch, it's not for company only. I can make a no shoes rule but there are no guarantees. I can just see my 3 yo coloring all over it in pen.
    We are used to having a reclining couch and this one doesn't recline, so I'd ideally like to get a recliner as an accent chair. We actually ordered the grey but it's on back order so I'm sure I could still change.
    WWYD?

eta links: this is the couch we ordered in slate: http://m.macys.com/shop/product/ales...tion?ID=476355

if we change to cream, I can get this recliner as a side chair: if we stick with gray I have no idea how to accessorize.
    http://m.macys.com/shop/product/emil...ner?ID=1254705
    Last edited by ShanaMama; 11-29-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Would you get a cream colored leather couch?

Why can't you accessorize the gray couch with the cream chair? Simply get some throw pillows, blankets...that coordinate the 2. I know, for example, that Costco and Lands End have gray and cream colored throws right now. . I don't think chairs and couches need to match.
    ETA- no, I wouldn't go with a cream colored couch.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love the look, but no I would not do cream with kids. Even our mocha colored micro suede sofa has been a pain to take care of. It is now covered in a dark brown chenille slip cover which I love, but I really regret not spending extra and getting dark brown leather. We bought our couch when I was pregnant with DD1.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-29-2015 at 01:48 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't do cream because I wear a lot of dark denim and find the dye tends to rub off a little if I sit somewhere often. It happens a lot on our leather car upholstery and so far always wipes off with a soft, damp cloth but I'd be worried about a bigger piece of furniture like a couch.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not with kids but it is lovely!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a cream-colored fabric sectional...it's do-able with kids but ours are older. We have a no shoes, no food, wash hands after eating rules. We do allow some food on the couch (popcorn, water) but put a throw over it first.

The dark denim on cream leather is a good point though...since that could be an issue, I say go for the gray couch, get a great cream throw or two, and some brightly colored throw pillows

Then maybe get a fabric recliner in a great pattern that coordinates? Last time we looked at fabrics at Bassett they had tons of really cool options and I bet you could find something to tie in that gray.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 11-29-2015 at 12:09 PM.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No way would I do a cream color couch with kids! I had one pre-kids, and even then with being careful it looked all dirty and dingey after a couple of years. I ended up buying a slip cover for it (which was a hassle in itself to deal with), until we could afford to replace it.

I have a set of 2 similar cream leather sofas from Macy's and they are still great even after 7 yrs and 2 DD's, we got it when the oldest was 3, now 10, and the youngest is 3 now. The little one wrote on it with a ballpoint pen once, but it came off with babywipes. My kids are pretty good at not messing things up.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, we would. My in laws have had a white leather sectional for the past 16 years, and they've had grandkids living with them for many of those years, and it still looks great. Before watching theirs take a beating and still last, I would have said no way. Now, we totally would.

Thanks for all the replies. I would get Macy's 7 year protection plan, which carries me quite a while. Would that change your opinion?
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast