Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What do I need to know about purchasing an xbox

All Ds wants for Christmas is an xbox. I'm not sure I completely want to take the plunge aa we have avoided gaming systems up until now but in the event that I must I wanted to find out what I need to know to get one. He wants a 360. Do we need 500gb? What other accessories? It seems like there are bundles out there of different combinations but I thought I would check in with the knowledgeable folks here to see what you recommend. DD wanted a WII but DS said we could get similar functionality from a Xbox kinect.

Thanks! Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by jacksmomtobe; 11-29-2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more detail

Watching this with interest. This is our "family gift" this year, and DH and I know nothing about shopping for one. Honestly, we just love the Disneyland Kinect game, and thought it the game system would be a great, age-appropriate activity for DD.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We got a Wii U last year and when I was deciding what to get, I read in a few places that games for Xbox 360 would be made into mid-2016 and if you're getting a new Xbox, to consider getting the Xbox One instead as the new games will all be there. I don't know if this is still the case or not. But, look into it to be sure you aren't buying a system that will have no new games out in less than a year.
    Kris

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don't know if this makes a difference but you might want to see which system is more common in your area. My son and all his friends own
    a Playstation 4. My brother has a PS4 and my sister's family has a PS4. They all get online and play. DS and his friends
    play on teams together or even against each other. They all have headsets and play and talk to each other. It's a lot of fun!!

Plus, I believe the PS4 can be used as a blu-ray player.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Is there a specific reason why he wants the Xbox 360 vs. the Xbox One? The One is the newer gaming system and will have more longevity in terms of game availability, better graphics, etc. Microsoft is working on making some Xbox 360 games backwards compatible so you can play them on the Xbox One. I don't have a One (yet!) so I don't know how extensive the list of games is. I'll get one when my 360 finally dies.

(Xbox One can also play blu-rays)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No way would I buy the 360. The One is the way to go. PP raised a good point about what other peers have. All of ds1's friends have a PS4 and that's the one we'd get next. But, I'm sure what's popular varies so I would t discount the Xbox. I'd just go with the One.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'll be watching this. DH wants to get some kind of gaming system for a family gift this year, but none of us know enough to make a decision. DD (11) does not want a gaming system and has voted for a fuzbal table. DS1 (7) likes screen time of all sorts, but does not know enough to have an opinion. I'd like something that the kids could use for the dance-type games.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    I'll be watching this. DH wants to get some kind of gaming system for a family gift this year, but none of us know enough to make a decision. DD (11) does not want a gaming system and has voted for a fuzbal table. DS1 (7) likes screen time of all sorts, but does not know enough to have an opinion. I'd like something that the kids could use for the dance-type games.
    That's an easy choice, imo. A Wii U. Better games for kids than an Xbox and you can do Just Dance. Might be cheaper too.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That's an easy choice, imo. A Wii U. Better games for kids than an Xbox and you can do Just Dance. Might be cheaper too.
    that was my inital thought (based on the threads here last year), but my initial research led me to this, which looks like the PS4 or X box one are the way to go - http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...nt-and-future/. Also not sure if I like the Wii U controller - I really need to go see these in person!
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We bought a refurbished Xbox 360 with a lot of GB from game stop for $119 this weekend. My kids mainly want to be able to play minecraft and we figured this is a good way to get started with this system. We have a Wii-U and they don't use it all that much so it seemed stupid for us to spend a ton of money on the newest X-box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast