Question Romantic date night ideas?

What are some date night activities (outings) that make you feel like you're being romanced, and get you in the mood? DH can apparently turn on a switch, but it takes *a lot* more for me to forget that I'm a stressed-out SAHM of 3. We don't have many date nights, but if we do, we've usually had the baby along and just run errands, go looking for a new area rug or something else for the house, or go out for dinner and a walk. We won't have the baby along now, but the weather is too cold to do anything outside. I'd really rather avoid spending a chunk of change on a baby-sitter to go to a movie where we can't talk/ bond (and that's not really romantic unless we can see a chick flick to put me more in the mood). All I can come up with is roller skating or ice skating (not DH's forte), possibly rock climbing (would have to see if there's a place nearby), or maybe a comedy club, but those won't necessarily make me feel like I'm being 'romanced.'
    Do you have any better ideas that put you into a more romantic mood?

Thanks for your help!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm sure there are many fun seasonal things to do, like drive around, look at lights and chat. Or, even better, are there any gardens, historic buildings, cute neighborhoods all done up for the holidays that you could go and enjoy?

Open a bottle of wine and just hang out either at home or a restaurant.

Are there helpful things dh could do at home rather than force the idea of romance? For a while, I remember simply wanting and needing dh to help out a bit more at home. When he would, I'd be in a better mood and have more time to focus on us.

I think I read in a book that sweeping the floor is the sexiest thing a man can do. DH helping out is big for me cuz it makes me feel like he's sharing the burden plus there's just least me to do so I have more energy. I do find it's worth it to spend $$ on a babysitter and go out to eat or whatever, not because it's so romantic but because I come home to all my kids in bed & I didn't have to put them there! I love my kids but I love a break from the 3 hour bedtime marathon. And a break from cooking and cleaning up the kitchen!
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are there any short classes you could take together? Specialty cooking classes, stained glass, ballroom dancing, etc? Something where you'd both enjoy yourselves and could foster something in common that isn't kids centric.

You might also try day dates to do active stuff like kayaking, biking, hiking, etc. One of my friends tries to schedule regular lunch dates with her husband.

We like to get dessert and coffee/wine instead of the full dinner out sometimes. It's cheaper and seems more leisurely.

Default Romantic date night ideas?

Dinner at great restaurant with drinks and/or wine and taking uber so no worries about parking or drinking. Talking. Dinner out at romantic or well reviewed place with good friends and laughter. No chain restaurants if you can avoid it. We took a cocktail making class with appetizers included and it was fun. Had snack and actual cocktails after at the cozy bar and fun night. Comedy clubs with good comics is fun and theater with appetizers before or after, and modern dance if your husband is into it can be a nice change. My husband loves dance performances after took him to one when we were dating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 11-30-2015 at 05:43 AM.

We love to take walks in the cold! We snuggle and hold gloved hands and kiss to keep warm. It's really fun! There's a walk we like where we end up at an inn that has a tavern with a big fireplace. We order a glass of wine or warm cider and sit by the fire. It's very romantic and inexpensive! We really like to take drives, too. We have our best talks in the car. Our ideal date night is driving to a slightly distant restaurant or inn, taking a little walk, having a great dinner or drinks in front of the fire, and driving home. It feels like we've been on a mini vacation. We do that kind of thing year round.

In the summer we often go on bike rides or brief hikes and watch the sunset. Sometimes museums are open late, and we enjoy that. We like to go to performances, too. We love ballet and modern dance. We live near lots of summer performances. We go to classical music concerts where we bring a picnic dinner and sit out on a blanket. We go to theater performances and movies, too, but I find those less romantic than dance or music. There are a ton of popular music festivals in our area, and they do a lot of dance parties. That is NOT our thing, but lots of our friends go. We prefer to be able to hear each other and talk.