Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anybody here choose *not* to get the flu vax?

Not looking for a debate, just curious. I want to get it but have been sick for the past 6 weeks so have been unable to get it yet. Freaks me out not having it.

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

The shot makes me sick so I haven't for several years now.

eta: DH is planning to take DS to get the shot at CVS.
    Last edited by rlu; 11-30-2015 at 02:20 AM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our family does not get the flu vaccine.

Haven't gotten one since I stopped working in long term care facilities (where it was required). Every time I got a flu vax I did end up with flu anyway. I have had flu (diagnosed officially) both with and without a vax and honestly had no real difference in symptom severity or length. I am now taking a high dose Vitamin D/K drop (with blessing of my MD) and have been using EmergenC immune plus. I tend to be susceptible to colds but DH had a doozy of a cold/cough after a biz trip early this month and I never got sick with this protocol (knock knock knock on wood! lol) When I have felt the slightest bit of a tickle in my through or a sniffle coming on I add another pack of the emergenC and add Elderberry concentrate and it has not progressed beyond the tickle. Could be coincidence but I'm pleased with these results.

I haven't gotten one since 2009. Have never had the flu.(And even then that was the only year or two I got one, because I was volunteering in a hospital. I never got the flu shot nor the flu when I was teaching.) My kids have never gotten one or had the flu. DH hasn't gotten a flu shot since he got out of the military in 2006 and has never had the flu.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The risks outweigh the benefits for our family. In addition to concerns about ingredients of shots and shedding in the nasal spray, a recent study showed that the flu vaccine suppresses the immune system leaving patients more vulnerable to other infections.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We don't get it either I've never had one and until my older 2 boys did clinicals in college they had not had one either. The risks out way benefits for us. We are healthy and non of us have ever had the flu. I'm with the extra hand washing crowd.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

DD got her's and DH and I have not gotten ours. I wouldn't say it was a "choice not to" so much as we're busy and just haven't made it in to get it done. We might still, I don't know. I've gotten flus after getting the vaccine and I've gotten flus when I missed the vaccine so....
    Mother to DD 10/2010

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've never gotten it. I had confirmed flu in 2009 and it was a crappy 4 days. I still opt not to get the vaccine. I also wouldn't take tamiflu if I did get the flu (my dr is pro vaccine, anti tamiflu as the side effects can be miserable and it doesn't shorten it by much). So, yes, I roll the dice each year.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No flu vax here, for the whole family. I think maybe I had the flu once (didn't get checked). It was bad, but only for a couple of days. We don't have any underlying health problems, though.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast