Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Urologist prescribed cipro for DD1 and I'm nervous - WWYD?

I for one didn't say anything about tendons and wasn't glib. But I'm not paranoid either and while the warnings are scary and serious (and why I extensively questioned my excellent doctor about why this drug etc.) your single and deeply personal experience is anecdotal and my experience not having any problems is equally anecdotal, except the vast majority of people who have to use Cipro because their particular infection needs it luckily don't have the awful side effects you experienced. That isn't misinformation. You had a rare reaction. I hope to never need Cipro again and will ask questions and not use it as a first line med (obviously). But the OP asked "WWYD" and I would do what I posted and your personal attacks that I'm being "glib" and other nonsense is ridiculous. I said Cipro was scary but would make a different choice than you. I also understand it isn't like an allergic reaction. My husband successfully sued a huge pharmaceutical company when a common med in all our medicine cabinets almost killed and blinded a young child. He used to defend big pharma. I am not an idiot for trusting a doctor and am not suggesting people willy nilly ingest dangerous meds without thought. So please stop disparaging and misstating what I said. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 12-01-2015 at 08:11 PM.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I for one didn't say anything about tendons and wasn't glib. But I'm not paranoid either and while the warnings are scary and serious (and why I extensively questioned my excellent doctor about why this drug etc.) your single and deeply personal experience is anecdotal and my experience not having any problems is equally anecdotal, except the vast majority of people who have to use Cipro because their particular infection needs it luckily don't have the awful side effects you experienced. That isn't misinformation. You had a rare reaction. I hope to never need Cipro again and will ask questions and not use it as a first line med (obviously). But the OP asked "WWYD" and I would do what I posted and your personal attacks that I'm being "glib" and other nonsense is ridiculous. I said Cipro was scary but would make a different choice than you. I also understand it isn't like an allergic reaction. My husband successfully sued a huge pharmaceutical company when a common med in all our medicine cabinets almost killed and blinded a young child. He used to defend big pharma. I am not an idiot for trusting a doctor and am not suggesting people willy nilly ingest dangerous meds without thought. So please stop disparaging and misstating what I said. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah....I was going to post my professional opinion, but when I had time to log back it it when down a steep path.
    I'm just wondering what everyone is planning to do if they get cellulitis. That and I'm thinking, "Cipro, really? THAT'S the big, scary antibiotic for you? 'Cause that's mid-range."
    99% of the time if something doesn't have a risk for side effects, it's because it doesn't actually do anything. Just remember that next time people want to do all the "alternative" stuff because they think it's safer.

The people at significant risk for tendon rupture with Cipro and Levoquin are over 60, male, on steroids, diabetic. I'm not saying it can't happen in others, but that tends to be the population. And damn right I used Cipro when my DD started get an infection in her little toe from a small cut and I saw that faint red line running up her ankle. Couldn't get that script filled fast enough, was sort of put out I actually had to go to the doctor. (Really, should have been able to send a pic from my iPhone, "here it is, give me the Cipro.") Saved my husband from possibly loosing a leg from a bad abrasion he didn't get cleaned off in time and let go too long. And my kids hardly have antibiotics, but when they need them, they get them.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just want to suggest that if she is not responding to antibiotics and has a UTI, that you try Chinese medicine (acupuncture and herbs). I don't get UTI's often, but when I do (2 this year after over a decade without), antibiotics don't work. They help for a few days, and then it's back. But Chinese medicine totally gets rid of it. I get acupuncture and they give me powdered herbs, but I'm pretty sure the herbs on their own would work if she wouldn't do the needles. If you have a good local acupuncturist, I would strongly suggest you try that. It's been a miracle cure for me with UTI's and yeast infections (which I also get when I take antibiotics). I used this method in my 20s and didn't have issues again until this year. I was thrilled that it worked again so well and easily, after maybe 3 weekly visits. I do have to pay out of pocket for those visits and herbs, but it is totally worth it. Something to consider.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3