Default Advice needed for taller seats, and 3-across

DGS1 is 4.75yo, 37lbs, 42". Cosco High-back harnessed booster.
    DGS2 is 3.75yo, 32lbs, 40". Cosco High-back harnessed booster.
    DGS3 is 17mos, 22lbs, no idea on height. Cosco Scenara, rearfacing.

Cars are a 2007 Buick Lacrosse, and a 2012 Ford Explorer.

Here's the basic situation: DGS1 has outgrown his seat by height--his shoulders have now passed the top harness slots. Just noticed it 2 days ago, so it's time to get the new one chosen and shipped if necessary. He's no where near being ready for a booster--apart from being "tiny," he needs the harness to "remind" him to stay in place, and he's not even 40lbs yet. Without it, we'd be stopping every 3 seconds to buckle him back in. Since DGS2 is usually only a few months behind his big brother for growth, I need to ideally get 2 of the same seat. DD agrees to keep them harness longer than "normal." The kids are in our cars at least a few times a week now that they live so close. I prefer to not switch car seats between all the cars (if/when DD gets a new car), because she and I have different qualifications for seats... Like I like my seats clean, and don't allow the kids to eat sticky treats in them.

Getting seats to fit in the Explorer isn't an issue. But, DD frequently borrows the Buick. Currently, the 3 seats we have fit across without a problem. We'd love it if the next set of seats would puzzle together just as well, so we wouldn't have to give up the Explorer when she needs a car.

And, to add to the issues... DH doesn't want to spend more than $125. I'm willing to do a little more (or make use of Amazon Warehouse open boxes).

Suggestions?
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

I think it's time for the Maestro... it shouldn't be much wider than the Cosco HBB's, has 17ish slots instead of the 14ish slots on the HBB, and NCGrandma just got one for $62 shipped (though we'll have to ask her from where! Amazon only has one open box buy for 60ish, when I look briefly).
    They can also be used without the cupholders (technically there's a 'plug' you can buy to keep tiny fingers out of the square holes, or, like, put tape on it?), so that should make it a little more puzzleable.
    Glad everyone's on board with harnessing longer, boostering 3 across is so so so so so hard, lol. (been there, done that, and that's when Britax made skinny armless boosters, STILL a nightmare!)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think NCGrandma got hers at Kohl's. They had a girly print for the price she mentioned earlier today but it isn't showing up in a search now. But they do have one style for $60, plus $10 back in Kohl's Cash for every $50 spent so that wouldn't be too bad. I can't tell if the piping is red or pink in the photos, though, just in case that's a dealbreaker for a car full of boys. They have two other colors for $67. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-239...sp?color=Black

They have free shipping over $75, or no minimum for MVC customers using FREE4MVC if you've spent entirely too much money there this year like I have :-P

ETA: it looks like most of the carseats are excluded but code love2shop takes off 30% with a kohl's charge.
    Last edited by mikala; 01-14-2016 at 11:47 AM.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yep, I got it at Kohl's last night, but it now says out of stock. I got an email confirmation but no shipping confirmation yet -- hope they really fill my order!! Mikala, thanks for describing that one as a "girly print". Much better than my description to my family, as "an ugly color but much cheaper"!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Yep, I got it at Kohl's last night, but it now says out of stock. I got an email confirmation but no shipping confirmation yet -- hope they really fill my order!! Mikala, thanks for describing that one as a "girly print". Much better than my description to my family, as "an ugly color but much cheaper"!
    Ha! The sale pattern did seem a bit, um, dated? But who cares for a travel seat? Hope your order comes through!

Grabbing the recommendations and sitting down with hubs to choose seats tonight...
    --Mimi

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Ha! The sale pattern did seem a bit, um, dated? But who cares for a travel seat? Hope your order comes through!
    Amazingly the seat was delivered today, despite being promised for mid- to late next week. AND even with the "dated" pattern (which I thought might mean a slightly older seat), the DOM is 11/2015!! So I'm really pleased.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

DH liked the Evenflo Securekid LX (DX? I can't remember). It's definitely not very wide, but "wide enough." DH was worried that DGS would outgrow it quickly... until we made 12-year old DD sit in it. She didn't "fit" but it was close. We'll be buying a second one shortly.

Bonus: DOM was 11/2015, so we'll be getting the full time out of the seat. Yay!

ETA: Just installed the seat for the first time. I'm in love. I told DH we're buying another one ASAP. Those "auto-install" LATCH attachments are the best thing in the world! I had that seat in, rock solid, in less than a minute flat! For all the in-out-in-out we do with car seats, a solid yet quick install is worth paying a bit more!
    Last edited by lalasmama; 01-24-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    --Mimi

Isn't that install ah.maze.ing?!?!! We had that seat at BRU and then they downgraded to the LX version, and I had to disappoint so many loyal customers who came back to buy second ones. I wish they could sell those LATCH straps for use on, like, ALL seats, lol.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#