Dcclerk is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Cold Weather travel shoes

When we travel, I try to live out of a carry-on suitcase, even for trips out of the country. I prefer a lighter travel footprint, so we can easily change hotels, etc. We tend not to be people who stay in the same place the whole time. This works out really well usually.

However, we are going to be traveling in much colder conditions than I am used to, and I am somewhat stymied on the footwear. Usually I have a good athletic sandal (think Ahnu/Merrell type), dressier sandal or Yosi Samra foldover shoes, strappy heels, and possibly flip flops. All take up fairly minimal room, so it works. This trip, I plan to wear some nice-looking, leather boots on the plane because they are bulky. They are super comfortable, and I should be able to walk around all day in them. I also planned to bring some sleek suede tennis shoes, which I can walk around a city easily, but I am now questioning whether suede with holes is a wise idea. We plan to be hiking so my boots won't work there, but I don't want the bulk of true hiking boots. I guess what I am looking for are suggestions for the following:

• Pair of more athletic shoes that can handle cold weather for hiking (probable rain), but can do double-duty for doing a lot of walking around the city. (I prefer not my standard Nike/Asics look.)
    • Pair of nicer shoes for fairly dressy dinners. (I am afraid my strappy heels will make my feet freeze in them.)

Can people in cooler climates please help? I am clueless! Many thanks!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd get a pair of trail running shoes instead of hiking boots.
    I often just suck it up and go to be cold for dressy things. I'm tough.
    For around town though, I would probably go with a pair of leather booties. Change your evening looks to go with the booties and you can wear them day and night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Merrell moc
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Thank you so much for your thoughts and help! I just wanted to give an update on what I think I have settled on. I will be wearing these boots on the plane: http://www.amazon.com/Blondo-Womens-.../dp/B00JLCF2R4 I think that I will be wearing them for most occasions that require dressing up, because I will never need to wear a cocktail dress or the like. I also got these shoes, after checking out everything at the Merrell store, Ecco store, and many others: http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/ecc...UYShoCbJHw_wcB They actually have better arch support and cushioning than most of the more athletic shoes I tried on (and own-- they really are pretty amazing), and their soles are very stable. I think they will work as well as any athletic shoes I have for hiking, and they cross over for the city much better than the majority of shoes I tried. The only thing I am now questioning is if I need to bring a true heel (think going to pretty nice restaurants in a little black dress). Thoughts?

State of relief now that we will have sanity in the White House again

Yes, I think you need a heel. The riding boots aren't a good fit for a dressy little black dress.
    ds 2004
    ds 2006
    ds 2008
    ds 2010

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would definitely agree that you will need a dressy heel for a LBD. If you wanted to go a little funky and get a dressy bootie, I think that is the only way you are going to keep your feet warm. But a bootie would be much bulkier to pack than some strappy heels!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I would definitely agree that you will need a dressy heel for a LBD. If you wanted to go a little funky and get a dressy bootie, I think that is the only way you are going to keep your feet warm. But a bootie would be much bulkier to pack than some strappy heels!
    I think you are right. I decided to go with the more funky, and warmer, bootie option. My LBD is not crazy dressy, and it will work with these Aquatalias in black.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1Ekp4VZds2...t+she+wore.jpg

I figure if it is good enough for Kate Middleton, it is good enough for me

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Booties were my original suggestion and those ones are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk