Default Need new carseats after car accident

Hi everyone, I was in a minor car accident and will need to replace my two Radian RXT. My kids' carseats are in the 3rd row of an Odyssey. The Radian RXT's were secured with seatbelts. My two riders are:

1) 5 years old, 39 lbs, 43", front-facing (outgrew the 1" below carseat rule)
    2) 3.5 years old, 34 lbs, 38.5", rear-facing

Any suggestions on what I should get? Does the Radian RXT still have the highest height/weight limit for rear-facing? How about highest height/weight limit for front-facing with 5-point harness?

Thank you! I don't frequent here much, but I always come back for trusted carseat advice.
    Last edited by fumofu; 01-29-2016 at 03:03 AM.
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How much longer do you want to RF and budget? There are seats with higher limits now - graco just came out with one that's 50lb/49" and is actually tall enough to get to/close to 49"

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    How much longer do you want to RF and budget? There are seats with higher limits now - graco just came out with one that's 50lb/49" and is actually tall enough to get to/close to 49"
    Hi legaleagle,

Thanks for your help. DS1 turned when he was just about 5. So I'd like to RF DS2 til at least he is 5 as well. I've got a bit over a year. The insurance company will pay for the seats, so I'm guessing at the maximm $285 per seat. Thanks again.
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

Dionos even have a 1.5" rule that the head has to be below the top, making them among the shorter RF seats now . Still nice and low profile, though. The Graco Extend2Fit at Target might be worth a look, I think that's the one the PP meant, or the 4ever or Milestone, also Gracos, low profile-ish, not too big front-to-back, and make really nice boosters later (Dionos become a booster now, but with a 50lb weigh minimum, very short height, and design that prevents the belts from retracting on the shoulder properly, aren't worth buying for that feature...).
    Glad your crash was minor, but sorry for the inconvenience, ugh!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Dionos even have a 1.5" rule that the head has to be below the top, making them among the shorter RF seats now . Still nice and low profile, though. The Graco Extend2Fit at Target might be worth a look, I think that's the one the PP meant, or the 4ever or Milestone, also Gracos, low profile-ish, not too big front-to-back, and make really nice boosters later (Dionos become a booster now, but with a 50lb weigh minimum, very short height, and design that prevents the belts from retracting on the shoulder properly, aren't worth buying for that feature...).
    Glad your crash was minor, but sorry for the inconvenience, ugh!
    Thanks for your help, Julie! I'm leaning towards the 4ever, since it goes all the way up to a backless booster. The built-in cupholders are a nice touch as well. For my guys, 34lbs and 39 lbs, is LATCH still recommended or will I need to use the seatbelt the secure the carseats? Thanks again!
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

Quote Originally Posted by fumofu View Post
    Thanks for your help, Julie! I'm leaning towards the 4ever, since it goes all the way up to a backless booster. The built-in cupholders are a nice touch as well. For my guys, 34lbs and 39 lbs, is LATCH still recommended or will I need to use the seatbelt the secure the carseats? Thanks again!
    We have a 4Ever and it has a 42 lb LATCH limit. Personally, I would use seatbelt for the older one so you won't have to worry about weighing him and remembering to change it later. Since the RF limit is 40 lbs and you mentioned RF the younger one, it might make sense to latch that one and switch to seatbelt when you turn it around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    We have a 4Ever and it has a 42 lb LATCH limit. Personally, I would use seatbelt for the older one so you won't have to worry about weighing him and remembering to change it later. Since the RF limit is 40 lbs and you mentioned RF the younger one, it might make sense to latch that one and switch to seatbelt when you turn it around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Great advice, thank you! Now I gotta scope out deals for the 4Ever's.
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

Does anyone know what the added feature is to the 4Ever Safety Surround that is sold at BabiesRUS? Thank you.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

Just bigger headwings. They aren't too bulky, though, I could go with either model just fine.
    The Extend2Fit is $120 at Target right now, doesn't become a booster, but wow, rock bottom price for a seat with remarkable RF leg room and super tall RF height (saw a picture of a 7 yo in one, with room over his head in it...49" and 50lbs, so right at the limit, but wow).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Just bigger headwings. They aren't too bulky, though, I could go with either model just fine.
    The Extend2Fit is $120 at Target right now, doesn't become a booster, but wow, rock bottom price for a seat with remarkable RF leg room and super tall RF height (saw a picture of a 7 yo in one, with room over his head in it...49" and 50lbs, so right at the limit, but wow).
    Oh man, for that price I want one!! But I REALLY do not need another car seat Wish his grandparents lived closer so I would have a reason to get a seat for their car...
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17