Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help quitting Diet Coke

I'm ready to stop drinking diet soda! I havent had any since Monday. I'm not usually a coffee drinker which makes this a bit harder, since I used to just have 1 diet coke in the morning when I got to work. But I've had a few cups of coffee instead this week. And I've replaced my fizzy soda with a seltzer water instead.

Do I have to stop drinking soda entirely? Or can I have one when I go out to a restaurant? Should i order non-diet instead? Maybe ginger ale?
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Default Help quitting Diet Coke

I think the answer to those things depends on why you have decided to stop drinking Diet Coke. Is it because of the artificial sweeteners, the artificial color, the caffeine, the carbonation, or all of the above?

Edit: Also, are you concerned with calorie or sugar intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I LOVE the carbonation! Is that even a problem? I guess I've just read alot of bad things about diet coke. I would like to lose some weight and I also read that quitting diet soda might help with that. In general I am not a stickler about artificial this or that. but I guess maybe i'd like to try to cut down on artificial sweeteners.

I dont have a problem with carbonation (I am drinking Polar Seltzer now) and I like some caffeine.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH found the sodastream helpful while cutting back on diet soda. He has a glass of plain carbonated water instead or adds a couple flavor drops to it.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My DH loves Diet Coke too. When he starts drinking them he can't stop unless he goes cold turkey. We go through rounds of this each year. When he does go cold turkey, he gets TERRIBLE headaches. Ymmv, but just be prepared for some withdrawal symptoms.

He has replaced the dc with several different drinks per day. He drinks a lot of flavored sparkling water and zevia. We have a soda stream that gets used a lot. He keeps extra cans of zevia in his car in case he finishes one because they aren't widely available and he drives a lot. He also has started loving coffee. He uses the Nespresso machine that I got for Xmas a few years ago more than I do. Sometimes lattes but mostly he'll make double espressos. He also goes on kicks where he drinks tea all day. He seems to love Tazo wild orange because of the strong flavor. He will drink it hot or cold with stevia sweetener.

Replacing his Diet Coke with other drinks has really seemed to work for him. I'm sure it's healthier too. Good luck!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I switched to iced tea as although I never really thought I had a Diet Coke addiction I noticed one time after I was trying to finish a liter of soda left over from a party, which took about 4 days by day 4 I thought it tasted strange and my insides felt weird. If I have a Diet Coke now and then at a party or at a bar and drink whiskey or run with diet I have no urge to have more the next day. If you really only like Diet Coke what about drinking a Diet Pepsi and if you just can't drink it then you have the memory of not liking it?

If you are okay with Stevia you can try Zevia, or Splenda try Diet Hansens. La Croix is flavored sparkling water, which is flavored with essential oils. You can buy it at Target. I like it better than the Arrowhead brand (Deer Mountain on the east coast?)

I usually give up soda for Lent (which starts in just over a week) do you think you could do something like that?
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-29-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Well I'm already on day 4 of no diet coke and I feel ok. Just a little sluggish, but i still crave one. I'm just drinking seltzer instead (Polar brand, 0 calories, only natural flavor).
    I guess I was just wondering if i could EVER have a DC again? Or would that defeat the purpose of quitting, or was there something that is OK to have (like ginger ale) if I am out at a restaurant or whatever. Or should I stick with plain water? I am just not a water person. I like something carbonated I guess.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would avoid it going forward. Just get a regular cola, not diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I quit drinking diet soda a couple of years ago and exist almost completely on carbonated water (la croix, polar... Whatever is on sale!). I don't drink caffeine as a general rule (always did decaf soda) but lately have been adding an occasional hot tea to my morning routine, which I enjoy. I have on occasion had a diet soda since I have given them up but it is very very rare. Usually when out an about or on vacation. I just really prefer the carbonated water so it isn't like falling off the wagon for me or anything.

eta dh still drinks quite a bit of diet soda so it is around...
    Last edited by scrooks; 01-29-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

I gave up diet soda for lacroix and hope to eventually just go to water (which I love) or herbal tea! I hate how addicting it is. I do really miss it and still have some occasionally when we go out to eat (I am looking at you Mexican food - and pizza).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast