Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I would send them to school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My ped says ok to go back after x doses. They've started abx in the AM and dr. has said they could return to school the next day. So, yes for both your kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When DS had strep I asked if he could go back to school the next day. She told me as long as he had 3 doses in, he was not contagious. She said he could go to school as long as he was feeling up to it.

I would keep them home another day.

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it really depends on how they are feeling. Sometimes with strep I bounce back quickly. Sometimes it really hurts to talk for a couple days and I feel washed out. As a kid, I often stayed home more than a day because I was so wiped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Assuming the kids seem to have their energy levels up, I'd send them. Our ped has always said that after 24 hours on antibiotics the kids are safe for school, and that's what my doctor said 4 years ago when I last had it.

Our pediatrician and our daycare say the same. Either 24 hours or X number of doses (which is sometimes slightly less than 24 hours). If they feel ok I'd send them. If you think they would be miserable, give them another day.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    They aren't contagious 24 hours after the first dose of antibiotics. If you were to keep any, I'd keep the one that you are waiting on the culture results. He could be contagious since he isn't on antibiotics.
    I agree with this

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

After x doses if they're feeling/looking good, where x = what the dr says. DD has had times where we clearly send her back after that...and a couple times where she's had a concurrent virus and is out for 4-5 days.

FYI to all that are taking the "not contagious after 24h on abx" as gospel, this is true only if the antibiotic works. I went through a few years in college where I kept getting recurrent strep. I'd feel better for a few days then be really sick again and still test positive for strep. You don't always know for sure.

I would be very careful! Both of my DSs, and at least a dozen of their friends and classmates, have had antibiotic-resistant strep in the last few months. DS1 had to have 3 different rounds of abx before we finally got rid of it, and DS2 tested positive after a 10-day course of abx, so had to go on to a stronger variety. DS1 had a mild fever but no sore throat, and DS2 had no symptoms at all.

My ped said that this year's strep strain is very virulent and hard to treat - I'm so glad that she was on top of this and advised the re-testing, as untreated strep scares me silly.

I would definitely consider getting your kiddos retested a few days after starting antibiotics (and if possible, keep them out of school until you get a confirmed negative result).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast