Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Kids have strep- send them to school tomorrow?

Ds2 is 10yo and was diagnosed with strep Monday morning. It's now Tuesday night and he's had 4 doses of antibiotic. He seems fine. Scratchy throat but no fever. Would you send him back to school tomorrow?

Ds3 is 8yo and was diagnosed yesterday afternoon with strep. He's had 3 doses of antiobiotic. He's a little more whiny and emotional. Would you send him? Both boys stayed home today.

I was was going to send them back tomorrow but DH (who is out of town all week) thinks I shouldn't push it.

DS1 had a fever when they swabbed his throat but he was negative for strep (but we don't have the culture back yet). He seems fine, no fever since yesterday. He also stayed home today.

Wwyd?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would send them as long as they feel up to it. Our doctor says they are fine after two doses of antibiotics.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would send them back having had their antibiotics and some tylenol for discomfort.
    K

If they felt good I would send them but if they are under the weather, even if not contagious, I see no reason to push it and I'd let them sleep in and have a day to feel better. They are kids and strep is no fun even when you are on the mend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    If they felt good I would send them but if they are under the weather, even if not contagious, I see no reason to push it and I'd let them sleep in and have a day to feel better. They are kids and strep is no fun even when you are on the mend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. A good friend's son is struggling with PANDAS and it has given me a whole new appreciation for strep and its seriousness. I would probably keep them home for another day for their sake and just in case there is any risk of passing it on. Feel better.

I would keep them home another day.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would suggest not. Strep is highly contagious and can knock out a whole classroom. Could you keep them both home another day?

for Sandy Hook

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. I would keep them home another day. Strep is a serious infection, and I wouldn't want to take the risk of passing it on and wouldn't want the risk of my child getting it.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They aren't contagious 24 hours after the first dose of antibiotics. If you were to keep any, I'd keep the one that you are waiting on the culture results. He could be contagious since he isn't on antibiotics.
    K

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Assuming the kids seem to have their energy levels up, I'd send them. Our ped has always said that after 24 hours on antibiotics the kids are safe for school, and that's what my doctor said 4 years ago when I last had it.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast