Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: S/O Facebook

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I imagine I'm in the minority, as I don't post anything. I reshare articles. I just think it's very odd to post stuff about yourself or one's kids. I'd understand if your only friends were family - but I just don't think 100-600 people need/want to see most things people post. It all seems very self-congratulatory and self-indulgent to me.
    I think you're right about being in the minority. I don't think Facebook would need to exist if people didn't bother sharing parts of your life. It doesn't have to be self indulgent or self congratulatory at all. I rarely get that give from any of the people I have on my list. I like those people and want to know what they are up to.

Do you at least comment on the articles you reshare? I have a friend who posts articles often but doesn't fill in the part that would make it interesting to me- I want them to say, "wow! Check out this cool articles on sea otters! I had no idea they could do that" or just whatever motivation you had for taking the time to post the article. People are interested in *you*. That's why they are friends with you. Odds are thru could find articles on their own, it's hearing your perspective that makes FB at all interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think you're right about being in the minority. I don't think Facebook would need to exist if people didn't bother sharing parts of your life. It doesn't have to be self indulgent or self congratulatory at all. I rarely get that give from any of the people I have on my list. I like those people and want to know what they are up to.

Do you at least comment on the articles you reshare? I have a friend who posts articles often but doesn't fill in the part that would make it interesting to me- I want them to say, "wow! Check out this cool articles on sea otters! I had no idea they could do that" or just whatever motivation you had for taking the time to post the article. People are interested in *you*. That's why they are friends with you. Odds are thru could find articles on their own, it's hearing your perspective that makes FB at all interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes I comment on the articles, often I don't. I have hundreds of FB friends, but I keep in close contact with my closest friends IRL so haven't felt the need to post stuff/pics on FB. Mainly I don't mention or post pics of DC because I feel kids should have the right to informed consent.

Sometimes I comment on the articles, often I don't. I have hundreds of FB friends, but I keep in close contact with my closest friends IRL so haven't felt the need to post stuff/pics on FB. Mainly I don't mention or post pics of DC because I feel kids should have the right to informed consent.
    just for my curiousty about people having FB account to only reshare articles and the like, what is the point of maintaning a FB account? i wouldn't create one if that is all i do on FB, kwim? the only reason i created my FB account is mainly all my childhood friends and family are mostly in Europe and Australia. It was easier for me and them to see the news, going-on's etc in one place vs. emailing which i'll never remember to if i had to resort to that.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    just for my curiousty about people having FB account to only reshare articles and the like, what is the point of maintaning a FB account? i wouldn't create one if that is all i do on FB, kwim? the only reason i created my FB account is mainly all my childhood friends and family are mostly in Europe and Australia. It was easier for me and them to see the news, going-on's etc in one place vs. emailing which i'll never remember to if i had to resort to that.
    I didn't create a FB account for years Bc it's not really my thing. Glad I did though because it has gotten me in touch with tons of people and old friends which has been fun. We mostly PM vs post stuff about ourselves or on each other's walls.

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I didn't create a FB account for years Bc it's not really my thing. Glad I did though because it has gotten me in touch with tons of people and old friends which has been fun. We mostly PM vs post stuff about ourselves or on each other's walls.
    It has totally allowed me to stay in touch with people I would otherwise lose. I hate that I have so many FB friends now. I liked it better when it was just extended family and people from past schools, etc. I kind of got shamed into accepting people from work,etc.

I totally share things about my children primarily because grandparents and family overseas enjoy it, and also because I like to have an on-line scrapbook. It is bothers someone they should not look or unfriend me.

I try not to brag. I write funny things my kids do, post pictures from vacation--all seems perfectly normal. My 11 year old son recently did something amazing. He was asked to write an admissions essay on someplace, real or fictional, very different from where we live. He told me he wrote about the Turkish/Syrian border from the perspective of a refugee and I almost died. He elaborated and I thought about posting, but we have friends also going through the process so it seemed icky to do so so I did not. So I try to consider the audience and timing and to be a little humble. I don't really share bad news because it is too public, but I think people should have a lot of leeway on facebook.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Mackmamma I'm right there with you. I RARELY RARELY will post anything to facebook, yet i'm on there alot mainly reading news and keeping informed. (our local town and school pages are great for this!).

I honestly don't like putting our lives and my kids out there. Not to say i don't enjoy reading what people post, i just choose to keep our lives more private. If i post once in awhile - it's on our school pages.

I don't have too many friends - just a handful. I don't think i have EVER posted pictures.

Why did i create the account? (some may find this amusing).....

FOR THE COUPONS! Same way i found these boards - looking for a bargain. It was at the point where you could get coupons to local places by facebook, or enter local contests..... so for that reason alone - i first joined.

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    Mackmamma I'm right there with you. I RARELY RARELY will post anything to facebook, yet i'm on there alot mainly reading news and keeping informed. (our local town and school pages are great for this!).

I honestly don't like putting our lives and my kids out there. Not to say i don't enjoy reading what people post, i just choose to keep our lives more private. If i post once in awhile - it's on our school pages.

I don't have too many friends - just a handful. I don't think i have EVER posted pictures.

Why did i create the account? (some may find this amusing).....

FOR THE COUPONS! Same way i found these boards - looking for a bargain. It was at the point where you could get coupons to local places by facebook, or enter local contests..... so for that reason alone - i first joined.
    This is me. The main reason I have a fb account is for community groups. I belong to a local moms group of 8000+ members and it's been so helpful. We're new t the area. Everything from plumber to doctors. It's my go-to.

I dont post much at all. But when I do, I use it for my own scrapbook, only allowing family and close friends to see. Just like I don't care what your kid ate for breakfast, I assume they don't care either.

I am so happy to support friends on FB when they are going through something rough or share in their celebrations if something great happens for them or their kids. Many share more than I would and a few share less.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3