Default Black tie question

Does black tie always mean a long dress for women? What about black tie optional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think women have more leeway. http://www.etiquette-and-manners-for...ress-code.html
    If it's an annual event, search online for pictures of past events to see what was worn.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think women have more leeway.

I agree. We attend several black tie events each year and most of them have a good mix of long and short. You do see some gowns, but often see even more dressy cocktail type dresses.

I think traditionally it does mean long, but I have been to several black tie professional events with Dh over the last few years and there were usually more short than long dresses. Anymore, I think almost anything dressier than a church dress goes!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been surprised in the last few years to see at least as many short/tea length as long dresses at black tie events. Agree with PP to look for pictures/ask anyone who may have attended either that event or similar events in that city for details.

Also - look at Rent the Runway if you need something new!

I went in Saturday. I wrote the short/cocktail dress that looked better on me than the longer more formal dress. I felt more confident and comfortable than I would have otherwise so thanks to everyone for giving me the "ok" to go ahead and wear it. Once I got there I did not feel out of place. I would say it was about 50/50 shirt came long.