Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Do ear infections and pink eye just come out of no where?

DS has had a cold for a couple of weeks. His cough seems to be getting worse (he does have asthma triggered by colds). Today out of the blue he just started crying and said his ear hurt. About 20 minutes later he was crying again because he couldn't chew his goldfish on that side because his tooth hurt. At that time I saw yellow gunk coming out of his opposite eye but didn't think much of it because he had been crying. He had no fever but I did give him Advil. He laid on the couch the rest of the night which is not him at all. I just put him to bed and the yellow gunk is just coming. He wipes it away and more comes. Now that eye is bright red. I'm sure it's pink eye of some sort. I also think maybe he has an ear infection. Can they both just come on that quick? Mom stopped by this morning and said he looked pale, but he always looks pale so I didn't notice it. Maybe she was on to something. I called and left a message with the pediatricians office, as they have Sunday morning hours for sick kids. I normally wouldn't go in so soon but he's had a could for almost two weeks and I think this may be a secondary infection of some sort.How do they tell if pink eye is bacterial or viral?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's not out of the blue- ds2 almost always gets an ear infection with a cold. And the ear infection comes on fast.
    I never know on pink eye though wrt viral or bacterial. Your kiddo might not have pink eye and just a part of the congestion.
    Hope he feels better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Odds are the pink eye is from the cold and ear infection. It should clear up with the antibiotics for the ear infection. My pedi always gave us drops for the eyes too just to be on the safe side. I usually waited a day or so to start the eye drops to see if it cleared up on its own.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had pink eye come on out of no where. Lasted 10 days. It was miserable. It turned out to be viral. If there is an ear infection, it would not be out of nowhere. He has had a cold for awhile. I would go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

I had an eye infection with yellow gunk and swelling the last time I had a sinus infection.

My DD had both together in the fall, and they came on quickly. It started with the pink eye, then the next day she felt out of it, like she had a minor cold. But in the space of an hour she went from feeling lethargic to screaming from ear pain, and sure enough, it was an ear infection. Besides the antibiotics we did use the eye drops as well, but only for a couple of days, and then it cleared up. I'd probably take your DS in to see the dr. if you can, before he gets too miserable. Hope he's better soon!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Eye discharge for us following a cold is always a sign of an ear infection (or possibly sinus). I would head in sooner rather than later to the after hours clinic. I waited 24 hours once and DS's ear drum burst. I felt so bad. That level of pain is a good indicator of infection. Hope he's better soon!
    K

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I had pink eye come on out of no where. Lasted 10 days. It was miserable. It turned out to be viral. If there is an ear infection, it would not be out of nowhere. He has had a cold for awhile. I would go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    This was my pinkeye experience too. I'm always surprised to hear people say it was no big deal and it cleared up on its own. Our entire family got it - DS, then me, then DH. The antibiotics did nothing and we were each miserable for 10 days or so. Some flu-like symptoms accompanied it as well.
    DS age 9

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely take him to the ped in the morning. I agree with others the EI and eye gunk are probably secondary to the cold and likely will need antibiotics. My DD as a baby had the eye stuff pop up out of nowhere. Only other symptom was a slight cough. Took her in and it turned out she had double ear infections. I had no idea. Antibiotic took care of it, though.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes mine DD is a victim of frequent EI and she almost always gets one with an upper respiratory infections.

Whether they come with a URI or alone they always come quickly, with very little other symptoms.

She is on Antibiotics right now for an EI out of no where, I actually hesitated about taking her in because she just complained a couple of times at bedtime about her ear hurting, low and behold nasty infection.

All this to say I would definitely take him in.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast