JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What preventative flea med. do you recommend for cats?

So, we don't have fleas now (at least I don't think we do), but have in the past. We only have one cat now, who is on Cheristan (what my vet recommends). However, it is super expensive and does not have an IGR. I am looking for a traditional treatment, as I just really don't have the time needed to do other types. Advantage 2 and Frontline Plus seemed to be the most recommended? Do you use either of these? What do you recommend? Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    So, we don't have fleas now (at least I don't think we do), but have in the past. We only have one cat now, who is on Cheristan (what my vet recommends). However, it is super expensive and does not have an IGR. I am looking for a traditional treatment, as I just really don't have the time needed to do other types. Advantage 2 and Frontline Plus seemed to be the most recommended? Do you use either of these? What do you recommend? Thanks!
    Does your cat go outside? When I had cats they were 100% indoor and I didn't use any flea prevention and never had a problem.
    ETA: If your cat does go out, I would use something that prevents intestinal parasites, heartworms, as well as fleas, like Revolution.
    Last edited by trcy; 02-08-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

We use Revolution. My cat is 100% indoors, but a couple of years ago, she developed an allergy or something because she will develop hot spots on her belly. She's on a mild steroid several times a week, and our vet recommended the Revolution as another precaution.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We use the Frontline that is sold at Costco. Apply once a month. Works great for every cat we've had, and they do go outside.
    We've had fleas a couple times over the years when we missed doses......... it's awful!

I've used Revolution in the past, also good. I think it's basically the same thing, but Rev requires a prescription. Frontline is fine.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We always used Frontline and our cat went outside.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our 3 cats are indoor only cats. Only time we had fleas (they were horrible, took a few months to get rid of completely!), was when we had a ton of rain and our basement flooded, so we had windows open trying to air things out. I guess the extra damp weather really brought out the fleas that fall. We tried Frontline (which we had used in the past) and it didn't help at all. The vet said that some fleas were building a resistance to Frontline. So then we used Advantage in the next 30 day treatment and that worked. Our new vet used Revolution when we got a new kitten (stray), and when our oldest cat escaped and disappeared into the woods. We found him 2 weeks later and he was covered in fleas and ticks. The Revolution worked quickly.

I found it was cheaper to buy Advantage online than at a local store.