Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Pertussis exposure?

*Update in post # 12*

Just got an email to say that a kid (let's call her Grace, not her real name) we were around for 2 consecutive days last weekend (about an hour each time) *may* have pertussis. She had an awful cough and I was wishing her mom hadn't brought her to the parties we were at. Her 9 yr old sister has a confirmed case of pertussis, so it's possible the 5 year old kid or her mom (both of whom were at these bday parties) may develop it. All three are vaccinated, including the kid who has pertussis (who we have never met).

Both my DDs attended the parties, neither got too close to Grace, both are up to date on vaccines. DD2 is 5 and had her last shot just 7 or 8 months ago at her 5 year check-up. DD1 is almost 10, so it's been 5 years since her last booster. I got mine after DD2's birth, so in 2010.

Should we be worried?
    Last edited by citymama; 02-24-2016 at 01:17 AM.

for Sandy Hook

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

More and more cases of pertussis are showing up in fully vaccinated people. I'd say if you or the kids come down with a cough or symptoms get checked.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had it about 2 years ago. My dad did too. I spent hours in the boardroom with colleagues (everyone knew, but was willing to take the risk because of the project we were working on). None of my colleagues or my family got it.

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would only worry if someone starts showing symptoms. But stay away from any newborns for a bit!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

We had a case at the school my kids went to last year and my DS is NOT fully vaxed (he's had two doses, but reacted and now doesn't receive the P component) and neither kid nor any other kids from the school came down with it. The infected child was in the classroom next to my DS' classroom.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I would only worry if someone starts showing symptoms. But stay away from any newborns for a bit!
    I was going to say the same thing. Stay away from babies but only worry if you see symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

You need to be within arms-length to be truly exposed to it.

Regarding vaccination, the vaccines don't actually provide long-term coverage. Usually only 2-5 years for the TdaP (big kid/adult version of DTaP). And for some people (I'm one of them) the pertussis part just doesn't "take." I now have to leave my clinic when we have a pertussis case, and just go straight to employee health for the antibiotics. I've tested positive multiple times. And I do the vaccine every 5 years, lol.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We were in the car with a kid who had it for 2 hours. None of us got it. The family was vaccinated, as were we. I would not worry.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Agree but would also strengthen your immune system with extra vitamin c,d and probiotics.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Agree but would also strengthen your immune system with extra vitamin c,d and probiotics.
    Yes, to this! And not just when exposed to whooping cough, but year round! Whooping cough is actually most common in the late summer and early fall, not winter. DS2 had it when he was 18 months old and none of the rest of us got it.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast