Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default If you put a changing pad on top of a dresser...

For our first 2 we had a changing table, which I later regretted bc they outgrew it and needed a dresser! So this time around we are going with a dresser and going to put a pad on top. But my question is, did you secure it somehow? If so, how? And are there certain changing pads that would be better on top of a dresser than others?

There was a hole in the back of the dresser (for a cord or something), so I passed one strap through that and the other strap just went into the front of a drawer. It worked okay. I only used it for the first 6 mo or so. Then I just can't changed baby on the pad on the bed or the floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our changing pad had snaps that we attached to the back of the dresser. Our dresser was from a baby furniture store and had the snap already on the back of the dresser when it arrived.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our changing pad had a strap that screwed onto the dresser back to keep it in place. I did put a piece of soft scrap flannel between the vinyl bottom of the pad and the dresser top to reduce the likelihood of scratches or the pad sticking to the dresser finish. Probably unnecessary but easy enough to do.

No, I just put anti-slip piece under it. The name escapes me, but the stuff you use to keep carpet from slipping or glasses in a cabinet from slipping. I used it for a long time until PT and it worked fine without damaging the furniture.

eta: As for the changing pad, I bought one that was contoured with high sides. This has been years ago.

We are currently using a changing pad on top of a dresser with nothing under or attaching it. The non-skid stuff is a great suggestion, and is probably safer. Or attaching it to the back of the dresser (which I think our changing pad has straps for, although the dresser does not). But it hasn't moved around enough that I ran out to buy any.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I didn't secure ours. I think the non-skid would be a good idea, but I've never felt it unsafe -- I have one of those large contoured pads and I never leave the baby on there w/o a hand on her so even if it did slip, it wouldn't be disaster. I changed DD1 on it that way until she was potty trained at just over 2, and DD2 is doing great on it so far!
    Lizi

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think we secured ours with DS1 but not DS2. Poor second child, lol. We ran the strap through the opening in the back that was for securing the dresser to the wall (ikea hemnes dresser). Our changing pad had non skid material on the bottom, and with DS2 I realized that I didn't need to secure it further, since I always had one hand on him...
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I never attached ours because neither DH or I would walk away when the baby was on it anyway. I never found it move around much during a diaper or clothing change, so didn't feel the need to attach it.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We had the Bellini dresser top attachment which is truly the world's best changing table invention - you can change the baby facing you rather than sideways. It had a pad that sits on top of the attachment - not secured, but never slipped off. http://www.bellini.com/slide-top.html

I should add we bought it used for $50!

We have left it on the dresser and now use it as a standing desk!!!!!

for Sandy Hook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast