Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DS1 is 55" and still sits in a booster seat. I drove him and his classmates on a couple field trips this year, and he even sat in it with them around. When questioned about the booster, he just shrugged and replied, "It's safer." Of course, he's my super cautious, rule following child, so it's easy to enforce. Not sure what I'd do if he was begging me every day! Probably get an Incognito.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We just go by the 5-step test. DS1 could easily pass in my friends car before he was 5'7", but in my minivan he could not.
    We 5-step as well. It's not just height that is a concern, it's overall seatbelt fit. Sometimes even different seating positions in the same car can fit differently.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We just go by the 5-step test. DS1 could easily pass in my friends car before he was 5'7", but in my minivan he could not.
    Yes to this as well. DS1 passed the 5-step test in DH's car and our carpool's car (both sedans) at age 10, but used the Incognito booster in my car (Mazda5) till he was a few months past 11.

I would get them both Incognito boosters:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLXBHIU..._-EC9wbMYHNFAA
    Last edited by essnce629; 03-25-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Yes to this as well. DS1 passed the 5-step test in DH's car and our carpool's car (both sedans) at age 10, but used the Incognito booster in my car (Mazda5) till he was a few months past 11.

I would get them both Incognito boosters:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLXBHIU..._-EC9wbMYHNFAA
    This looked awesome, except the minimum weight is 60 pounds according to that (which seems like a lot). My girls aren't even 45 pounds. Sigh. Luckily they've not complained, but I've noticed that at their school turning eight means adios booster. 48 inches and 44 pounds is too small for them to sit without a booster. Sorry kiddos.

OP I don't know what I'd do. It's an easy decision for me since DDs aren't even close.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

OP here. They are in Incognitos. My mama gut says stay in, but I think I just needed to hear that others still have dc in boosters since NO ONE here does. I needed to hear that I am not being too tough on them. Thanks for the reassurance.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Could you have a compromise of some sort? Like are you close enough to home that they could ride to school in seat belts but back in boosters for longer drives? Assuming they are the right weight/height and passing the test. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

What about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In a pinch, I wouldn't sweat it, but in general, no. They have to pass the 5 step test and my oldest was definitely 4'9" when that happened (10 years old). My middle hates it because none of his friends ride in boosters, but different families, different rules.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

DD had to pass the 5-pt test... which means, at 12yo, 58", and 80lbs, she just sat outboard in our SUV for the first time this month. She fit our old sedan outboard at 10 or so. We're pretty "serious" with the booster, even taking it on vacation, since we just didn't know how she would fit. The new car we got (Honda Accord) doesn't fit her as well... but she's in the middle of a growth spurt, so I imagine she will fit better very soon. The shoulder belt just hits a smidgen high.

She's begging to sit in the front seat, and knows it's (generally) not allowed until she's 14.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I made mine wait until she was 57" and passed the 5pt. test. She was an early bloomer though, so I think she was maybe 8? She's 12 now and sits in the front seat to get a break from her little brother to and from school. She's 5'3" and 123 lbs though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast