Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

MY DS is newly 10, 55" tall and still has a backless booster in my car. He does not 5 step in my Ford Edge. That said, when I send him with other families for hockey I do not send a booster, none of the other kids who are the same size still sit in a booster, in fact, my friend had her tiny tiny 6 year old who is the size of a 4 year old without any booster, I unfortunately made a comment as she had the seatbelt behind her back, I said "oh let me grab her booster from the back" as I have seen her in a booster before. The mom who is a good friend was like, oh we didn't bring it (this was a 3 hour trip). She was shocked I made DS still sit in a booster. For rides with others I"m ok, but in my car he's fine and hasn't really said too much as he knows he can see better and the belt fits better. To the OP, it's a battle that you need to decide what your comfort level is.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Did you let DC out of booster seat before they were 57" tall?

I would let then beg, cajole, guilt trip, whatever. No dice. My older DD just turned 10, is 57 inches and still in a booster. Has she ever ridden without? Yes, for a few carpools and occasions when we are squeezing an adult in the back seat. Probably starting at 55". Stay where you are, kids!

for Sandy Hook

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I follow the 5-step test, for the most part. My son will be 10 next month and I guess I've drilled car seat safety into him so much that when he sees a kid not in a booster or car seat, he says (to me) they're not as safe as he is.

But, I don't sweat it much. I provide a booster for him in other cars when I can. In my car, he passes the 5-step in the middle seat because of the hump in the floor. I'm not sure if that's legit, but we let him ride there during the rare times that we need 5 people in my car.

My younger son will complain and beg soon, I'm sure! He is a wiggle worm and I still have to remind him to sit correctly, so there's no way I'll let him out early.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe try the Incognito? It blends in with the car and is barely noticeable. I would definitely stay in a booster until they past the 5 step test.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids were out of the booster around the age of 8 I think. Both are tall and not super skinny. They are mature, not wild. The seatbelts seemed to be a good location on their body. I was fine with it. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really felt fine about it. DD is 58 inches now at 10, so was probably 4-6 inches shorter when she stopped using a booster.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

DD (10) is 56" and passes the 5 point test in the third row of our minivan but not in the captains chair (close). I let her ride without a booster in friends cars. She's usually in the third row.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just met a 12 yo (neuro typical) who is in a highback booster. Keep on rockin'!!
    K

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS2 is in 3rd grade so all kids were older than 8, which is the age limit in California. Recently DS2 went on a field trip and not one other child used a booster, but DS2 did. He doesn't seem to view it with shame. I'm glad for that! He's still quite a ways away from qualifying for the 5 point test.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

IIWY, I would tell my kids about the 5 step test and make them demonstrate that they pass it. If yes, then they are free to skip the booster. If not, then no dice.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I barely know any 7 year olds (except mine) in a booster, let alone 9 year olds. We switched ds1 out at nine - he was 4 foot 7 inches. For long trips, he still rides in a high back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast