wifecat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What to buy for a small 19month old? Carseats expiring soon...

Obviously, she's going to continue to rf for a good long while, but man oh man am I sad our Britax Roundabouts are expiring in June (passed down from siblings). So now I'm searching for what to get - seeing the Evenflo Symphony Elite, Graco Milestone, Evenflo Sureride - we're definitely on a budget and I can't do a $300 seat, so I have to be mindful of our finances, but also, what will serve us best. She's small - 20lbs at 19 mos, but tall, so I want to keep her rf as long as I can (her siblings were around 3, I think, but she weighs less than they did). But I want to be sure it will continue to work well ff as I don't plan to buy a different ff one. And if I get the Milestone, will it actually work well (eventually) as a highback booster, or is it pie-in-the-sky to think I could really use it that long? Opinions on what I should get or think about (bonus if you know of current deals)? This is our primary (and only) seat.
    Mama to miracles, dd (3/09), ds (12/10), dd (8/14)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't seen this seat in person yet but your comment about tall and rear facing made me think of this : http://carseatblog.com/37437/graco-e...money-is-here/

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    I haven't seen this seat in person yet but your comment about tall and rear facing made me think of this : http://carseatblog.com/37437/graco-e...money-is-here/
    I love the concept! My husband is tall so I'm not sure he'd love the seat taking up the much of his room, but what a great idea!

I'm looking at the Chicco NextFit now because the carseatblog says it's good for tall skinny kids to extended rf. It sounds great...just more than I hoped to spend. Blargh. http://carseatblog.com/31265/best-co...avvy-shoppers/

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    I love the concept! My husband is tall so I'm not sure he'd love the seat taking up that much of his room, but what a great idea!

I'm looking at the Chicco NextFit now because the carseatblog says it's good for tall skinny kids to extended rf. It sounds great...just more than I hoped to spend. Blargh. http://carseatblog.com/31265/best-co...avvy-shoppers/

Quote Originally Posted by wifecat View Post
    I love the concept! My husband is tall so I'm not sure he'd love the seat taking up the much of his room, but what a great idea!

If I were looking in the $200 price range, I would look at the Milestone and the Extend2Fit. I have a 4Ever (very similar to Milestone) and a NextFit and I like the 4Ever sooo much better! The NextFit is nice and cushy, but the high sides make it harder to get a kid in and out without bumping head on door/roof, and at least on our older model the harness is really really hard to tighten. I wanted to love it, but ended up so annoyed with it I gave it to my husband for his car and getting the 4Ever for mine. That doesn't mean they haven't gotten better and you won't love it, but definitely try it in your car and practice tightening it a few times before you buy.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I believe extend to fit is actually one of the vary smallest front to back when fully upright. BRU now has a 3-in-1 version. Basically extend to fit & milestone having a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    I believe extend to fit is actually one of the vary smallest front to back when fully upright. BRU now has a 3-in-1 version. Basically extend to fit & milestone having a baby.
    Oh, interesting! Good to know.

I am so tempted with the Evenflo Sureride - I love the price and it still gets listed on the carseat blog as a really good choice. Anyone have feedback on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Ooh, I really don't need another car seat, but I want one of those!
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by wifecat View Post
    Oh, interesting! Good to know.

I am so tempted with the Evenflo Sureride - I love the price and it still gets listed on the carseat blog as a really good choice. Anyone have feedback on that one?

I have heard a lot of good things about it, especially for the price!! It has really high top harness slots, so it lasts a long time forward facing. The 2 negatives I've heard about it are that it has a 40 inch height limit for rear facing, and it can take up a lot of space rear facing.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's more than you want to spend, but I just got a Clek Fllo and I love it. I'm hoping my DD can ride in it until she is 5 or 6.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015