Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Travel car seat help

We will be going to the UK for two weeks. For two trips of two hours each way, I will need to sit in the back with the kids. Both kids are likely to sleep on at least one of those trips and probably on other drives that will be an hour. We will be sitting in an English BMW 3 series. The seat belts do not lock. I tried. DD1 will be 5 and is 40 lbs and just over 40 inches. DD2 will be 2.75. I have no idea of her stats. I will know more tomorrow. Right now DD2 is RF and ideally will continue to RF in my car until she is 3. In the past, we have traveled with a scenera next for DD2 and a Maestro for DD1. I would continue to use them but the seat belts DO NOT lock and the latch on those two seats is just awful. We also own the evenflo sure ride Dlx. It is a harnessed booster. The scenera really isn't an option regardless because she seems uncomfortable in it now.

My ideas so far:

Take the sure ride for DD2 and let her FF for the trip. Fine with me. And buy a bumble bum for DD1 for the drive to and from the airport and buy a high back booster in the UK for DD1 for the rest of the trip. We would just leave it there. Or I could just use the bumble bum the whole time but I worry that she will fall asleep. She has barely used boosters but is compliant. Or I could get the harmony dream time and hope I can squeeze in. The BMW has an odd back seat. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Last edited by Philly Mom; 04-04-2016 at 12:51 PM.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd get a ride safer vest for DD1 and the sure ride for DD2.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    I'd get a ride safer vest for DD1 and the sure ride for DD2.
    The vest seems like it would be both cumbersome to use and uncomfortable. We do a lot of driving in the UK. We stay in a village 15 mins from my in laws, 30 mins from a bigger city and 30-45 mins from lots of attractions. Will it be comfortable enough for her?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

My kids were quite happy with the vest ("It's not a carseat!!!!"), though for a lot of in-and-outs it was kind of a pain (househunting, that's a lot more in-and-out's than usual).
    Can you just learn to use a locking clip to install your current seats? It's not as daunting as it seems, once you know it often takes even the most seasoned of us 2 tries to get it right, lol.
    For the times when you have to sit back there, use the bubble bum and let her sleep on you...?
    There's also not-quite-out Mifold booster, I should get mine really soon (days now, or at least in April), and I'll post how it goes, but I have a feeling it will be less tippy-feeling than the bubble bum, since it's literally ON the vehicle seat with the shoulderbelt clipped and held on the shoulder properly.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

My kids have never complained about the vest, and we just lent it to a friend who took it on a 3+ hour drive (plus around city driving) with her 5 yo with no complaints by her.

Can't wait for your review on the MiFold!

I am going to wait to hear what you say about the mifold. I will then decide between the mifold, bumble bum and the vest.

We used the IMMI Go car seat for a month in Italy last summer and have it with us in Maui. It folds up and easy to carry and fits under the seat on the flight. It is easier to set up and use than the Rider Safe Vest that we also have. At least for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    We used the IMMI Go car seat for a month in Italy last summer and have it with us in Maui. It folds up and easy to carry and fits under the seat on the flight. It is easier to set up and use than the Rider Safe Vest that we also have. At least for us.
    Not all UK cars have top tethers

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Not all UK cars have top tethers
    That I can verify ahead of time. I am pretty sure he does have them because I believe I used them last time. Do I need top tethers or locking for the vest? That immigo looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

The vest doesn't require a top tether, the IMMI Go definitely does require one. The Go is absolutely a joy to install with LATCH, but with a seatbelt it's beyond a pain. IIRC the LATCH can be used up to the entire weight of the child (60lbs? Most kids are too tall for it about 50lbs or less so it's never a worry)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast