Mali is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Rf foonf, snugride 35, and a 2003 accord

We're finally trying to install the snugride 35 for DD2 (due Sunday) and while we were able to install it behind the passenger seat for the Prius v with no problems, we're having trouble with my accord.

DD1 (3y2.5m) is still rear facing in the foonf in the center as otherwise I'd be sitting on the dash in the passenger seat. Ideally, she'll stay rear facing until DD2 outgrows the bucket seat and then she'll have a rf foonf in the center position and DD1 will go to ff on the side.

The problem in the accord is the bucket seat styling of the edges of the back seat. DH says the issue is that if he uses latch it snugs the base too close to the foonf due to the back seat bucket slope and then when we put the snugride in the base, it's canted so that the seat leans towards the door (an obvious angle). In that position, there's no difference with the belt either. If he tries to shift the base a bit towards the door to get space away from the foonf, then the base is half in the bucket seat of the car, and half up on the rounded edge of the bucket seat, which means he can't snug it close to the back of the seat, and can't really tighten it down to the seat without it leaning all over the place.

I know that various other seats need pool noodles or towels to get a solid install, but is this something we could use as well without compromising the install given the issue? Or is the Snugride just too big to fit?

Accords are so carseat-unfriendly...sigh.
    A towel might contour the seat (or UNcontour it, as the case is), as well as using a locking clip to keep the seatbelt from tipping the base up sideways (rather than pulling the shoulderbelt all the way out to lock it, which pulls the side of the seat up, making all the tipping so much worse). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QKoVaHJAM
    Maybe see if seatcheck.org has a tech or inspection station near you, too.
    If worse comes to worst and it just can't fit, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Foonf FF at this age. The crash testing is remarkably good on it FF (like, straight by the numbers, better than RF, not sure how that can be, but it really reassures me, anyway!)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Mali is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks Jools! I'll have DH take a look at it.

Are we going to have this issue with pretty much any seat if one seat is in the middle? Once DD2 outgrows the bucket, the plan is for her to be rf in a foonf while DD1 is ff in her foonf.

Has anyone had any issues with a child being rf in one vehicle and ff in another? We use the Prius v if we're going anywhere together and the accord is usually just her and I during the week as we're doing our own thing.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids rode RF in my car for a good year+ longer than DH car, never had any issues with it at all

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    Thanks Jools! I'll have DH take a look at it.

Are we going to have this issue with pretty much any seat if one seat is in the middle? Once DD2 outgrows the bucket, the plan is for her to be rf in a foonf while DD1 is ff in her foonf.

Has anyone had any issues with a child being rf in one vehicle and ff in another? We use the Prius v if we're going anywhere together and the accord is usually just her and I during the week as we're doing our own thing.
    DD1 outgrew the height limits of her seat in DH's car well before her seat in my car. We had no issues with her RFing in my car (which is where she rode most of the time) and FFing in DH's car. We kept her RFing in my car until DD2 was born, at which point we had to turn her FFing because there was no way to get 2 RFing seats (well, not the two we had) in my Honda Civic. So now DD1 FF behind the driver seat, and DD2 RF behind the passenger seat. Good luck!
    Lizi