♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Camp Gladiator??

Anybody do CG?? How do you like it? I won a 4-week camp thru DS' school PTA auction for super cheap (w00t!!). I signed up for the camp that starts next week. Just wondering if anybody else does it, and what it is like. I have a few coworkers who have done it but I really have no idea what to expect. I've never done CrossFit either, not sure if it is simlar. I'm not a weights person AT ALL so this is new to me. I do exercise 4-5x a week, but it's all running & yoga...i figure it's good to add some strength training, core exercises etc in the mix. One big goal is to seriously improve my running time (i'm really slow)..another is to tighten up my tummy (esp before swimsuit season!). I figure to do that i really need to do strength training/weights as running/yoga alone isn't going to cut it.

anyway, just wondering if anybody else has done CG camp, and what your experiences were. the one closest to me meets MWF 5:30am...ideally i'd do that but i may do one that is closer to work TuTh 5:30pm instead...i hate getting up early

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So I had never heard of this, so I Googled it and found some YouTube videos. It looks fun!

It looks like HIIT training outdoors. Weights combined with short bursts of cardio. I think you will find that it will really help you be a stronger runner. I have found doing lower body training (glutes and quads) to being vital for preventing injuries while running.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a lot of friends that do CG, and they all really like it. However, I do think that at least some of the trainers are "boot camp" like in that they do yell at you, so just be prepared. The downside to this is that people can end up pushing themselves too hard in order to meet the expectations of the trainers and end up with an injury. So, just be careful at first and don't over do it. I've heard that they are very good about it if you make sure to let them know that you are new to this type of activity.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thank you both! my first class is tomorrow evening and i'm excited for it! hopefully it won't kick my arse too bad..i went running this evening so hope to not be too tired.

it looks like each week has a different focus (e.g. endurance, weights, etc) which seems good.
    i have no issue with trainers yelling or a "bootcamp" style workout, in fact i probably need a bit of that, as i think for weight/interval training i need that (a home video of weight or interval training would never work for me, i'd do 3 reps and call it a day )

i really hope there is not a lot of team/partner stuff though, bc i'd feel horrible for whoever ends up stuck w/me... i am super weak and pretty slow/uncoordinated. on the website it says for women to bring 5lb weights, but i'm going to bring 2lb ones bc i don't want to injure myself on the first day. yep ...
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-18-2016 at 10:59 PM.