Default Car seat without top tether

My DS is 3 y/o and rides ff in a britax marathon. My in laws (who occasionally drive him places) just got a new (used) car with no top tether. Is that safe for him? Or should we plan to not let him ride in that car except for emergencies?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of vehicle? Some can be retrofitted.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post

DH drives a '94 Honda Accord and I was able to go to the dealer and have them order the part. It cost less than $10 and I installed it myself.
    If the car was made to be sold in Canada as well as the US, it should have the holes there already - that was the case with the Accord. I just had to poke through the liner.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It must be a pretty old car. We were able to retrofit my IL's 97 Buick, the part was ordered through the dealer and FIL installed it. I would look at getting it installed.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    It's not that old. It's a convertible. Haven't seen it yet. Not sure if it can be retrofitted.

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I hope you can easily do the retrofit, as that would be best!

To answer your question though -- I personally am not comfortable using a FF-seat with a standard install without a top tether. I'm not an expert on carseats, but I think the safety improvements of the top tether are pretty important. I know others are more relaxed about that than I. I'd do it in an emergency, but not when I had another choice. (The one exception is DD's Recaro ProSport. It installs differently and the shoulder belt actually goes across the seat like it would on a passenger -- so holds the top of the seat much better even without a top tether)
    Lizi

Convertibles generally lack top tethers, and they can't be added. In a Britax, I'd use the seatbelt to install, including using the belt lockoffs. Those 'act like' a tether, and I'd be fine with it up to 40-45 pounds or so (hopefully that's about age 4.5- 5 and a good booster age/size/maturity).
    Generally I'm very pro-tether, but with the remarkable performance of that seat with lower-weight kids--head excursion is very low, even without a top tether, owing to the safecell structure under the seat-- I wouldn't sweat it.
    Another option might be the RideSafer Travel vest, though 3 year olds can be a bit too squiggly for it.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Wow! Thanks Jools!

My son will be thrilled to hear that. He's been begging to ride in the "race car" and so far I've said no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk